• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pinion nut torque

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
got the new chunk from mike in the axle and the tag said to torque the pinion yoke nut to 210 ftlbs.( it came with the solid preload spacer so i could reuse my yoke) i got to about 150 ftlbs and noticed the pinion was getting harder to turn. how much resistance should there be turning the yoke. don't want to over torque and roach my new gears.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
you wont hurt the gears pinion bearings maybe but not gears anyways the preload on the pinion should be between 12 -32 in lbs. Also the torque for the pinion nut can be set between 180-220 Ft LBS.

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
i may not be using the right term but is the preload how much force it takes to turn the pinion once the pinion nut is torqed? the old third member i removed, i was able to spin it with little to no resistance. the new one has more resistance than i expected. the old setup felt like a properly setup front axle hub in terms of force to turn.

welndmn

Bronco Guru
eds66bronco said:
i may not be using the right term but is the preload how much force it takes to turn the pinion once the pinion nut is torqed? the old third member i removed, i was able to spin it with little to no resistance. the new one has more resistance than i expected. the old setup felt like a properly setup front axle hub in terms of force to turn.
Your correct on your preload terms.
That solid spacer should of come with a shim pack, you need to add some shims until you have the correct preload, or rolling restince.

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
got it already setup from mike at complete offroad. he said all i have to do is put my yoke on and torque the nut to 210. am i missing something? he never mentioned needing to shim anything!?? ?:?

so if i've met the preload amount before reaching the 210, i should not torque any further?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Your preload wont change with more torque but you still need to check it as there could be a differance between yokes causing more or less preload but as long as your between 12-32 in lbs preload your good.

OP
OP
eds66bronco

eds66bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Essex, Vermont
guess i need an inch lb torque wrench unless there is another way to do it

would 12 inch lb=1 ft lb? don't know if my torque wrench will set that low

the pinion moves with no effort until the last little crank of the nut then it starts to have resistance

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
inch lb beam type torque wrenches are usually pretty cheap. There needs to be some resistance thats so the bearings have the proper tightness once the seat in thats why there is a preload requirement. if you dont have enough preload the bearing will be too loose if you have too much they will be to tight and burn up.