• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

pitman arm removal

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
It is finally off. Unbelievable the frustration, broken tools, etc. in the last 2 months. I tried it all. Ended up cutting it off with a cut off grinder. I still had to beat the $%^&* out of it even after that plus drilling all the way to the steering box bolt.
I wish ANY of ya'lls tricks of the trade would of worked of me. To anyone that says it is easy - no comment.
A few cold snacks (beer) and a bit of clean up and I'll go back to it next weekend.
Thanks

DAKOTA7720

Loc.
CASS COUNTY, MN
When you use the right tool it's easy!
image014.jpg

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
he's gonna slap you guys...he broke three pullers during the attempt...

ak68

Heat, a good quality puller, and a BFH finally got mine off.

OP
OP
tennessee toy

tennessee toy

Loc.
Dyersburg, TN
right tools - riiiiiiggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhtttttttttt.
I broke two pitman arm pullers and a gear puller. I was afraid to use heat - didn't want to get the seals of the steering box.
Two months - hour here - hour there. weekends only. weather has sucked in West Tenn. for since the first of the year. I wasn't in a hurry till now.

RustyShackelfor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Centerville, TN
I used a 20 or so year old puller and finally got one off. Building a new puller right now that will utilize a bottle jack. :)

They dont still sell the puller like I used and the ones they do sell now arent worth spit.