• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Plate bumper detail

jagbucket

Its now my second attempt at a front winch bumper this one from from 3/16 plate i would guess about sixty lbs so far, im contemplating boxing in the back side from the frame out but concerned about the weight. Cant seem to find any pictures to see what's been done . leave it or close it up? i still have the fairlead and something for winch header plus winch of course to consider for weight. i thought about it both ways so i thought some of you might like to chime in Thanks..

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
If you are going to use the boxed section as an air tank for an onboard air system then do it, otherwise it is mostly a lot of added weight for a little added strength.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You want it boxed. If it is open back it will twist when you put a load on the corner.

Take a shoe box and twist it with and without a lid. Fully boxed makes a HUGE difference.

I did my bumper in ¼" plate and it wasn't that heavy. The center span wasn't fully boxed, head the winch.

If you want to save some weight (very little) the back side can be filled in with 1/8" plate.

OP
OP
J

jagbucket

thanks boxing it in makes sense was just wondering what others have done if it was overbuilding or not. still have rear spare mount and cage to fab so weight should equal out eventually .

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
I boxed the ends of mine in from the frame out, but not between the frame rails. I added one rib centered under the winch from front to back (triangle). I've been running it with just the outers boxed for years with no problems even under hard winching and tree bashing.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
thanks boxing it in makes sense was just wondering what others have done if it was overbuilding or not. still have rear spare mount and cage to fab so weight should equal out eventually .

Share some pics.. :)