• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Please give your $.02 on bulletproof & stonecrusher steering

msuforeman

Are they pretty much the only games in town? I will be ordering one of the two w/in the next two weeks and I would like to here from some of you that have either set up.

Thanks As Always,
Brian

BTW, I am in the process of installing a Duff 3.5" LT kit and I have not bought a drop pitman arm yet.

Last edited:

N.FloridaBronc

Loc.
Tallahassee area
Brian,
Well, they are definately not the only game in town. I'm sure others will pop in with other options.
I won't get into "who's is better than the other" but FWIW I can speak to the Bullet Proof setup offered by Randy Thomas here. http://bulletproofsteering.com/main.html
I ordered this set up a few years back when I was still driving the 77 almost daily. The 77's had that crappy tri-y tie rod set up that sucked to begin with and mine were shot. I can't say enough about this set up. And Randy was top notch to work with. I went with this set up mainly because of ease of installation. No reamers needed or any of that mess. I did it myself in a little over an hour with tools I and most anyone else with a Bronco already have.
The difference was more than night and day. I used to think I had a lot of play in my steering box. You know how most EB's you have to steer em 10 to 2 just to go straight? Gone... After the install, there was NO play, none! That thing was steering like an indy car on 35"s. I never reinstalled the steering stabilizer shock. There was no need. Death wobble, gone. Wandering, gone. Bump steer, gone. Made a believer outa me. I could go on and on.
If you are running much of a lift I would absolutely recommend the drop pitman arm & drop track bar mount. Also, don't just get the tie rods. Get the track bar too. Trust me. After it's all said and done you will NOT regret spending the money. I still feel it is the best mod I ever did. This set up is getting swapped into my latest project. And I am confident the setup will outlast the rest of the rig.
If you do order one of these set ups be sure you measure correctly, Randy likes to keep em strong and set it up so that there is a lot of thread in the tube at the rod ends.

I know, I know... what I sound like reminds me of that commercial..........."couple more buns in here Ethan, like to kiss em?". But I promise, I don't even know Randy. I am just one more than satisfied customer with this product and with his customer service. There's much more to the story, but I'll stop here ... I've butt kissed enough for one night.

:p :p

Hope this helped. If you go that route & have any questions just shoot.
Jeff
Whew...

Last edited:

airman

Contributor
Bronco Guru
N. Florida Bronc, I hope I have the results you did. I am going to order from Stone Crusher in the next couple of days. I would love to get rid of the steering stabilizers. Did you go on top or the steering knuckle? If so how was the lower trac bar mount?

I am going to give Stonecrusher a chance for a few reason. After you talk to this guy on the phone I heard 2 things. He is very honest. He drives a Bronco with his setup on it. His friends have it on theirs. I also got his call at the end of the day. That tells me that he does this in his spare time. I think I heard a little kid. He is chasing the American Dream and I am proud to be part of that.

I hope it all works out. We can't have too many success stories.

jalarson

Loc.
Utah
I can also only speak to the Bullet Proof setup - I bought and installed it about a year ago. Less than 2 hours to do the whole install, and I have to agree with everything N.FloridaBronc said. The quality is absolutely top notch. The stage-II rod ends are unbelievablably tight. It is a little pricey, but worth every penny in my opinion.

Mike Hewett

I just ordered all the parts to do mine, it is coming in around $200, not bad considering the price you pay elsewhere for the same setup. The site I bought my stuff from is www.spidertrax.com. and then I bought the heim joints from jegs. That spidertrax site is definetly cool though. I can't attest to the order yet though i should receive it later this week.;D ;D ;D

evil69

fawkin classy
Loc.
Athens, GA
Stonecrusher is the way to go. He is a great motorhead kind of guy. He is honest. Someone asked him to include some safety items. He sent them to me after I had already paid him! He covered the parts as well as the shipping! I was very happy with the install. Easy, looks good, works well on a jack..... Now if only I can quit finding more projects so I can drive the thing

ballistic64

Loc.
Piedmont , SD
You can get the DOM tubing from any machine shop,and I went with Avalanche Engineering for the heims and tube adapters.
If you buy the right size DOM tubing you dont really need the tube adapters you can tap right into the DOM but you still need to come up with lefthand threads on one side if you want to be able to adjust it without disconnecting one end.Which means an invoice from the machine shop on top of the DOM or one for a lefthand tap.I went with 1.5" OD - 1" ID DOM tubing,1" tube adapters (which are prethreaded left & righthand for 3/4" heims)
which weld into the DOM,and 3/4" heims.