• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

POLL: STAK vs. ATLAS

Which Transfer Case?

• Stak

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • Atlas

Votes: 25 43.1%
  • Other

Votes: 13 22.4%

• Total voters

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What T-case are you running on the rock rigs - Stak, Atlas, or other (NP205 etc.)?

Where are the best deals?

What are the pros & cons to the different cases?

Has anyone had problems with the aftermarket cases?

Projp

Three of us are running Atlas's with great results other than the occasional hard shifting........I am thinking about extending the shift levers for a little more leverage.
My buddy is currently swapping out his Atlas for a Stak. He wants a 3 speed. He runs most obstacles in low and is then shifts into high to get to the next one. He figures to use the Stak medium range for 90% of everything.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
I don't have either but I see that all of the big retailers carry the atlas and not the stak, food for thought

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What T-case are you running on the rock rigs - Stak, Atlas, or other (NP205 etc.)?

Where are the best deals?

What are the pros & cons to the different cases?

Has anyone had problems with the aftermarket cases?

I have run the same Atlas for 4+ years with no problem. There are countless units in comp rigs as well. Can't speak for the stak-If you want cheaper and tough option-consider a 205/klunev setup....shortens driveline but VERY tough. A buddy is running this setup in his 78 BB with 60's and 44" TSLs.
In closing I would say if the Atlas is in the Build budget go for it, you wont regret it.
HTH,
KB

OX1

Bronco Guru
I'm going to run a black box, Northwest fabs version of the larger Klune V. Fits between tranny and TC. Downside is a bit longer in length and not direct bolt in compared to stak B-box. Upsides are 4 speeds, uses stock 205 case that can be had virtually free if you eff one up, and cost is less than half an atlas 4 speed.

texashcane

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Argyle, TX
I'm running a Stak 3 speed. You've seen my rig. It was a straight bolt in for my C6 and BC Broncos had it in stock when I needed it. I've had no issues wahtsoever with it. It shifts smoothly and and held up fine. When i figure out which rig I'm going to put my ZF in, I'll probably order another one.

Stephen

XT700

Loc.
Brownsville
I went with a Stak, mainly because of the mass buy that Cary(ctowery) put on. I did quite a bit of research before I made the choice and other than some early problems the Stak seems to be building a decent reputation. That being said if a similar deal had been offered on the Atlas I would have considered that as well. Fit and finish of the t-case is impressive and other than a lousy shifter design, partly due to interference with the NP435 I am happy with my choice. Good luck with your choice, either way it is a great upgrade over the D-20.

Walt

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Personally I don't like sticking reduction boxes on top of reduction boxes. I like to have it a little simpler. So just trans and transfer is my preference.

Stak has the ratios that would work best for me. One box, right ratios, that is what is on my plans.

The correct ratios thing goes something like this. Between the range of ratios in the transmission is there enough spread to cover the change in gears in the transfer case. In other words how much gap or overlap is there between high gear low range and low gear high range. I knew people who had low gear transfer cases that did highway fine and could crawl great. They just couldn't get down a sand wash to get between the highway and the rocks.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Costs is a very important factor - this build has already gone over budget (anticipated it would from the start) and I've still got lots more to buy including gears, lockers, and coilovers. My first thought was to put a HD Output shaft on the Dana 20, but then I'm $500 in on something I already want to upgrade in the future. Now that I'm putting the front and rear axles in I'm paying real close attention to my driveline angles. If I line everything up for the Dana 20 now I'm concerned it may cause problems later when I upgrade cases. Granted it will be close, but I'm trying to do it right the first time on this build.

As for costs, the Stak does seem to be the economical route and I really haven't heard any negative feedback on them. Yes, Atlas is proven and without a doubt bullet-proof, but costs a lot more (plus the adapter to the C4). I can get a NP205 for next to nothing, but then I'm back to the adapter cost and I'd rather not go that route.

Thanks for all of the feedback.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I sale both. I have ran both. Both are hi-q. Both companys stand behind their product. I have had no problems with either. I run the STAK box because it is a stronger unit but I am not convenced that it needs to be. A few pros and cons. The atlas has a mechanical speedo the STAK has a pulse gen. For about the same money you get a atlas 2 speed or a STAK 3 speed(I typed "about" the same price). And it's not a big deal to change gears ratios in the STAK, with atlas they(AA) say it is cheaper/better to sale and buy a new one.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I also sell the Stak line of products for 2 reason, 1 I feel its the best TC on the market and priced reasonable and 2nd I get to deal with the owners not just a salesman.

This relationship started when I contacted Atlas about upgrading to a 4sp. Since I had a AOD with a Advanced Adapters AOD to D20 adapter I assumed that it would be a bolt on sutuation....NOT! I would have to buy a new adapter and trans output shaft. This really set me off especially since AD could care less about making a Atlas fit their existing adapter.

I heard of a new company called STak and contacted them, long story they made it work so I didn't have to spend $$ plus tear apart my AOD. This is service! To me it was a easy choice to become a dealer, I could sell Atlas TC's but chose not to.

Cary

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
My Atlas 4.3 has been in for ~5 years now through some of the toughest trails around. No problems. As Chuck said I believe both are quality units.

OP
OP
SC74

SC74

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As of now, there are 10 votes for "Other."

What is the "other" that is being voted for... speak up!

I should have included options for stock Dana 20 and upgraded Dana 20.

smoked77

Loc.
Columbus, IN
Personally, I think I would go with the Stak and I would only chose the 2-speed. For about 400 less than a 2-speed Atlas, you can get the Stak 2 speed which more directly fits the Bronco. I have not read anything negative about the Atlas or Stak, but for the price difference and what I have read about the fit of a Stak, I think it is right for me.

I originally planned to do the JP rock-eater 4.86:1, but it would cost more with the rebuild kit, gears, and shafts to go that route vs. a Stak. I have never liked the idea of stacking boxes, due to driveline angles and input shaft stresses, but it sounds like it works for a lot of guys.

I had thought about the 3 speed, but I cannot see why I would need it. With a auto, the various speeds of the trans, and a 2 speed t-case, it seems to me that all of the gear ratios I need would overlap. Maybe some need it, but I could not justify the cost....speaking of cost, it's gonna be a bit before I can afford the swap:-[ Somebody needs to start a mass buy on the 2-speed Stak;D

av8rds

MAhole!
Loc.
2300 mi East of Moab
Atlas 4sp.

Great gear choices and low/low is NOT too deep as many people speculate. I use it often just for the awesome controlabilty. and Kincades prices are about what you see advertised for a Atlas 2sp.

ctowery

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Wellington Nevada
I think the main reason to go to a 3 speed with a auto is control. I have a very tight custom TQ and even with it I find myself using the brakes too much especially on steep downhills and drop offs. The additional gear the 3 sp has takes care of this.
Additionally getting a deep geared 2 speed is not the best decision..many people who have end up regretting it since only a small percentage of the time you need that deep gear., especially if you run in mud.

Mass buys...never again been there done that!

PM me, I'll get you a great price individually.

Cary