• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

POR 15 and paint

erics667

Hi,
I've looked but can't quite find an answer that makes sense.
I am working on the bed of my '74. It has good paint on 85% but primer and some rust on the rest and carpet glue on the wheel wells.
If I take the rust and carpet glue off, down to metal and seal with POR 15, can I and should I then just paint the entire bed?(<---This is the direction I'm leaning toward.)
Or should I just do the whole bed in POR 15? Then paint it?(<----Sounds expensive)
Can POR 15 be effectively used over good paint?
Or....?
Kind of lost with all the options honestly.
Thanks for the opinions and help!
Eric

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
I would only use POR15 around the seams. It does not work well on clean bare metal. Epoxy primer and a quality top coat would be much better.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Hey give John @ JAX a call, I saw him using a roll on stuff not long ago that smoothed out really nice, and I know he intended on painting over it because of the other places he was using it.

Kurzhaarguy

It is never a good idea to paint over existing paint. It is difficult to get good adhesion especially with really old paints. I would clean the metal up and see what you have. If you can clean up the old paint and still have some pitted metal I would use the POR metal prep followed by the POR 15. I believe the metal prep is a Phosphoric acid based metal prep, which have been used for years and are good at preventing underfilm coorsion. If you can get down to good metal with no pitting - it is hard to beat epoxy with a urethane topcoat. Either way make sure it is degreased as this is a sure thing you will have paint failure. POR 15 goes a long way. I would be willing to bet two small cans would do your job. Just my opinion.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I wouldn't use POR 15 on paint it will not stick well. Theres 2 ways it'll stick and that's painting on rust that been wire brushed so the loose scale is gone and treated with the phos/acid wash. The 2nd way is sandblasted bare metal that's been treated w/ the acid wash. It's also UV sensitive so if its going in your bed you'll need to top coat it

CraigS

Throw the POR out and scuff it all and apply automotive epoxy to rust proof the bare metal and seal down the old finish. Then refinish as desired.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Even sand blasted bare metal isn't ideal for POR-15. BT, DT. If I'm going to use POR I take to bare metal and let it flash rust before using their acid etch. I then top coat while it is still slightly tacky. If you don't do this be prepared to wait. As I recall something like a month per their instructions before scuffing it in prep for a top coat.