• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

por 15 / paint advise

bax

Contributor
Old Member
I have stripped all the bedliner out of a bronco I am working on. In some of the bed seams I found active rust. The underside of the truck is all finished. So I dont want to soak it in ospho to kill the rust in fear of messing up the underside finish. So I chose to paint the rust areas with POR 15. question is what need to be done to top coat over the POR. Its glossy and will primer stick to it? Do I need to sand it after it dries? Any advise. The interior of the truck is going back to body color. Its an ugly ass 2 stage green. I hate the color but I still want a good job.

Any help here?

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
From the POR website:

Absolutely. POR-15 will accept all paints, including lacquer-based paints. POR-15 Tie-Coat Primer is the best prime coat to use before topcoating POR-15. Be sure to read thoroughly our directions and tip sheets regarding topcoating before using POR-15.

Pete

Loc.
kansas city
were can you buy POR 15 I've tried everywere from Lowes to autopart stores? sorry for the jack

igottastanger

You can buy por 15 on ebay theres a guy here in texas who is a distributor and is very helpful. He put packages together on the size of your project. Check out ebay for the por 15. As far as painting over it you can but first must use an etching primer over the por 15 then you can paint it.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
There are a few ways I have paint or primed over top of POR-15. I guess the best way is to use their tie-coat primer since it is designed to chemically bond to the POR-15. Another way is to apply the POR-15 on and wait till it's dry 100% then sand/scuff it till there isn't any shine left to it. Be forewarned, POR-15 sands like concrete. The way I used to prime over top of POR-15 is to apply the POR-15 and wait about 2-3 hours, just before it is dry 100%. You should barely see a finger print in it. I would then apply a 2K high build non etching primer on it. My first coat would be pretty dry. Let that set for about 20 minutes. I would then apply 3-4 coats of primer as I would if I were to prime body filler. I have done that and never had a problem. It probably isn't chemically bonded like it's designed but that is the way I did it before their tie-coat primer came out. If I had to do it nowadays I would use their tie-coat primer. Make sure you only apply it to the rust and bare metal.

Whenever I have needed it I just ordered it online direct from POR-15 but I live near NY and get it pretty quick.

OP
OP
bax

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Thanks Alan Just what I needed to know