• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Porting

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Yes I have done some of the relitively minor work like bowl clean-up and gaskit matching. Nothing proven for ultra high flow. It is worth the trouble at this low level but any further work you might as well save time energy and be dollars and get big valve aluminium heads complete. By the time you do it right on a set of used castings for 300 more you get the full tilt versions all ready done. But you must build a high rpm motor to use them. as long as you have the tools the work is easy wear eye goggles and not just safty glasses if you care about your eyesight. the little shavings get everywhere.

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I have found some great web articles regarding this and they all say go for it - even for beginners.

Explore74

Loc.
Lubbock, TX
[quote author=Waverous link=board=5;threadid=12217;start=0#90648 date=1039653031]<br>I have found some great web articles regarding this and they all say go for it - even for beginners.<br>[/quote]<br>Who's telling us this? Thats crazy!!! Go for it? The last time I heard that I needed a new drivers side rocker panel! ;D ...... :-U....... :eek: ....... :'(

74bronc

Bronco Guru
Yes, porting is proven to vastly improve the flow in stock heads. If you don't want to (or don't have the $$$ to) purchase new heads, this is a great way to go. Take the valves out and round out the bowls using a carbide bit on an air tool or a dremel or something that you will have good hand control with. Be VERY careful not to nick the valve seats. On some heads, there is a hump cast right into the port that can be taken down and smoothed out. Don't bother to polish them because that is shown not to be worth the work as far as flow goes. Gasket matching is a good thing to do as well because it opens up the ports a little more. Remember that an engine is nothing but a big air pump and the more air and the faster you can force it through, the more power you will have. I did it to my stock 351W heads and I believe it makes a difference. Not as much as aftermarket heads,but noticeable in the seat of the pants.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have done a lot of porting on windsor heads. I don't have a flow bench but I do have about 20 years of trial and error (drag racing). The windsor head is so small the even doing a little can mean a lot. A lot can be had by port matching , cleaning up the bowls , and installing at least a larger exhaust valve. There is a lot of water in those heads and you can't get carried away. Dont change the shape of the ports but you can raise the roof on the exhaust side quite a bit. Leave the intake port rough , polish the exhaust. If you have a Borders or a Barnes and Noble near you I will recomend a very good book..." how to build and modify Chevrolet small block cylinder heads" by David Vizard. It goes pretty deep into theory and really tells you a lot about air flow. Head porting is only half the battle. Much of a good set of heads ( any brand ) is the valve job. People talk about their 3 angle valve job like it is a big deal, it's not. A three angle valve jobis nothing more than stock and not even that good when you see what they do to some import cars right out of the factory. I did my own heads on a 9 second car with no flow bench so you can get some benefit out of a LOT of reading. Go buy the book it's $14.95 and will help a lot even though you have a ford.