• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

posi ID

marks bronco

Loc.
Pinellas Park,Fla.
Ive got several posi sets in the shed and i think there for front and back but I cant read the lables anymore. How do I ID the gear ratio and if front or back,axle type and count,gear ratio?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
For gear ratios count the number of teeth on the ring gear and divide by the number of teeth the pinion gear has. As for IDing the diff's thats a little harder once they are out of a axle. but you might try doing a search on google to find pictures of what you believe it to be and compare or post up some pics in your post and see if any of us can ID them.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 9" ford gear set is fairly easy to identify. The ring gear is 9" but that isn't enough to truely identify it. Look at the pinion gear, there should be a 3/4x3/4 or so tit on the end of it (non-yoke end). That is the extra (third) pinion bearing that stabalizes the gear in the case. That third bearing is one of the factors that makes the 9" such a good axle (stabalized pinion gear).

Once you find a 9" ring and pinion take the ring gear and see if it fits any of the carriers. If it fits and the bolts all line up, that is a carrier for a 9"

The rest of the stuff is a mystery to me.