• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible New Bronco Owner

ScreamSalvation

Well,

I'll start off with a small introduction. I'm a 21 year old computer tech that is the head of a law enforcement IT center. I have always loved older Toyota pickups and SUVs but I have a good deal that might be coming through that I can not refuse. I've had a Ford Mustang that I loved and a Ford Ranger that I absolutely hated. How reliable are these early Broncos when it comes to parts etc.

I just got a call from a friend saying his grandmother has a 72 Bronco that was her late husband's, It has been sitting in storage for the last 15 years and her son has been looking after it. He is a pilot in Alaska and flies in once a month and has spared no expense on this suv. From what I am told it is immaculate, he just dropped in a brand new and built up V8 that has never even been run, only turned over. I am planning to go see it and if it is as good as they say I will buy it because at the price they are asking I am basically stealing it from them. Suppousedly the engine is custom built from a local builder, he was restoring the truck completely so the fenders and body panels are pulled. He spent around 5k on the engine alone and they will prolly take 4k for the Bronco, just to get it out of the way and release the sentimental value of having it sitting around.

The down side is that I will be selling my very reliable 88 4Runner which has been my baby for a while now.

Opinions? Suggestions? Comments? Experiences with Ford build qualities of this year would be appreciated. My mustang was solid as a rock, my Ranger was a peice of crap on wheels. sorry if I offend. :)

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Sort of a loaded question. Reliability is a bit subjective. As a daily driver? as a trail rig? Need to know more about it. Either way you should snatch it up and post some pics. There are many on here, if not all, that will give you an honest opinion. Whether it be turn it for a profit or keep it and finish the restoration. If you have a thing for 4 runners, you might have a hard time going backwards in the comfort zone. Remember, this is a 36 year old vehicle with 36 year old parts.

recoiljunky

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Dothan, AL. USA
I would venture to say that it would take a lot of mainenance to make a '72 Bronco as reliable as an average 88 Toyota.

That being said, I would throw rocks at a more reliable Toyota to get to a never-leave-your-toolbox-at-home Bronco.

It all boils down to personal preference, I guess.

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

True True, I would be using it as a daily driver to haul around all my equipment for survelliance and computer things. Suppouedly the son spared no expense when doing the restoration as he makes a good bit as a pilot. I know a very loaded question. ;) But as a daily driver, with many parts replaced, no hard-core off roading, the most would be up easy camping and hiking stuff and the occasional pulling a friend out of deep mud. I have just always loved the look of the old Broncos but this is the first one I have had fall into my lap like this.

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
if it's half of what you said it is, it's a bargain. Alot depends on location as well. Please tell me it's rust free!

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
In todays market it may take a bit of time but I'd still look onto turning it if it's in good shape rust wise. As stated, get pics and post them and you will get a fair analysis of what you have.

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Yep they said immaculate. NO RUST anywhere. The son has been working on it for the 10-15 years it has been in storage, used to drive it once a month when he flew home. But decided 2 months ago to drop in a big build up V8 with lots of horsepower, since then it has only been turned over and checked for oil etc. He hasn't filled up the gas tank and even driven it yet.

I am hoping to go take a look this week and will take some snap shots to post.

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Sounds like a great deal to me. Just about any running, complete Bronco is worth almost that in any condition. If it really is "restored with no expense spared" as you say, well then its a no-brainer. If you don't take it, do two things for us: First, post up the contact information so someone here can snap it up. Second, take a blunt object and bonk yourself over the head for passing on such a deal :)

Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Oh yeah one more thing...welcome to classicbroncos.com!

Dusty

Carl

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, IL
Just my opinion: If it's in as good shape as they say it is, I don't think I would want to use it as a daily driver? Is there any way you could keep both vehicles? Oh yeah, welcome to the addiction!;D

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Unfortunately No, the fiance gave me an altemadum(sp?). If I want the Bronco I have to sell my 4Runner (not enough room to keep em both) I still have my Ranger so I will be driving it while I put the Bronco back together. My idea of daily driving consist of going between the 3 different offices I work at, everywhere else I go I take her car because I don't get reimbursed for mileage I drive off the clock. ;)

Tom Dummer

Loc.
Scappoose, Or
If you still have the Ranger, why not dump it???
Sounds like a great deal, except what some think of as "spare no expense" is another persons "redneck enjinuity."

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
Unfortunately No, the fiance gave me an altemadum(sp?). If I want the Bronco I have to sell my 4Runner (not enough room to keep em both) I still have my Ranger so I will be driving it while I put the Bronco back together. My idea of daily driving consist of going between the 3 different offices I work at, everywhere else I go I take her car because I don't get reimbursed for mileage I drive off the clock. ;)

Put it back together ?

67horse

Loc.
Riverside CA
The pros and cons of the bronco are
The 4runner will get better gas milege and with gas prices thts a big con for the bronco
the bronco has a certain style that an 88 4runner doesnt have
the bronco is as reliable as the time u put into it
the engine on the bronco is probably newer unless youve put a new engine in to the 4runner

if it was up to me id get rid of the ranger and get the bronco so you loose the the hauling ability of the truck but if u take the backseat out of the bronco you can haul with it also

the bronco just has a certain style

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
You will so glad you got the Bronco! You will probably end up telling yourself "That was one of the best decisions I ever made"

TN1776

Bronco Guru
Get the Bronco. Sure its an old vehicle but from the sounds of it, you'd be getting a screaming deal on it. You can build a reliable Bronco and if this one is as solid as they say it is, you're more than half way there. Wire it up with a new harness, keep up on the maintenance, and drive it!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Welcome to the site. Definitely grab ahold of that deal.. ;)

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Wends. I am hoping to make the road trip and look at the Bronco. The Ranger is tied down to and with family so getting rid of it is unfortunately out of the question. I haven't put a new engine in the 4Runner and it is getting up in mileage 170k so I know it will need an engine in the next year or two as it is starting to have little problems.

That is how I was weighing my options:

Keep the 4Runner and have to put 3k in it for an engine, not to mention new leaf springs and a couple other minor things. Only have 3k in the truck at the moment anyway.

Go with the Bronco which already has a new engine, the grandmother's current husband told her that the wiring harness is new, everything in the engine bay was replaced. The truck is in running order with all new parts but the exterior is taken apart from getting shot with some new paint and coating of the inside of the fenders. So spend the price of the 4Runner's engine and get a much better investment.

The 4Runner's original owner called me today and said he would actually like to buy the truck back, lol. So we will see Wends.

Edit: Oh, and as for better gas mileage. :) The 4Runner is a v6 and doesn't get the best I've seen, I know the Bronco is a V8 but being a newer engine I am betting on it getting right about the same I get in the 4Runner, Right at 15 mpg? Am I close?