• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible New Bronco Owner

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
Ahhhh, a fuel injected 302 might average about 15, that is what I am around with my EFI. Carb will lower that a couple mpg's.

Hazardous69

Loc.
Springfield
If you're keeping the ranger and the choice for a second vehicle is a freshened Bronco or an almost worn out 4runner I'd say the choice is easy. If the Bronco is as good as they are telling you it is, you're buying it for well below market value.

Over the course of the next couple years the 4runner will need quite a bit of $ in maintenance to keep it going and the value will continue to plummet as it gets older. The Bronco will need about the same amount of $ and the values are rising on them every year.

If you don't have to drive long distances to work every day in it and things like power windows and other modern luxury items aren't a necessity for you, the Bronco seems like a great choice.

FerrumCampitor

Loc.
Hutchinson, MN
How reliable are these early Broncos when it comes to parts etc.

I'll answer your question the same way I answered my Mom when I was buying my Bronco at the age of 19 and she asked me "That's a pretty old vehicle, how many miles does it have on it?"

Um...its over 35 years old. I seriously doubt that any of the original parts are still on it other than the frame and body. So reliabilty of the original model is a moot point. What you need to be asking yourself is how reliable are the aftermarket parts and workmanship that has been put into in its current form.

That being said, most bronco owners become bronco owners for life. Think about that. There's just something about them...

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Well, I am about to head out of town to look at her. Found out today it is a new 351w in her. I will be taking some pics tonight to post so everyone be ready.

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Well, I went and saw her tonight and all I can say is Wow... Some better than expected, some worse. So this is how it breaks down, the son started to do a full off the frame restoration in 1998. The truck has been completely disassembled and is sitting in boxes in the storage unit, the body is sitting on cinder blocks above the frame. Everything has been taken out (dash, electrical, lights, seats, etc) but it is all there in the storage unit, down to the last bolt. The guy has ALL receipts for everything he has done (engine, parts, even sand he bought when sand blasting the frame, he also included a list of all parts he needed and wanted and catalogs with the books in them. I mean he documented everything.) The frame has been sand blasted and repainted, new tires and rims all around, new lifted springs up front and lifted leaf springs in back, axles were completely torn down and rebuilt by a local company, hubs and brakes redone. New dual shocks and new mounts for all of them all in place. Brand new never cranked engine (was told it was a 351w but looking for the receipt in the paperwork mother said he spent around 4.5k on the engine and he said it was built to run like mad). So he basically has redone everything on the frame but never got started on the body.

The body is extremely straight, don't think it is cut. Only rust on the body is surface rust under the passenger headlight and a little inside next to the acc. pedal. Paint has a couple nicks but wiping away dust shows bright and shiny paint. The hard top is in a little bit of bad shape, It has rot over the drivers side door and some rust around the edges (none spread to body that I saw dont know if it would be best to just buy a new top). The price of 4k includes Everything in the storage unit except an engine stand in there. This is all parts, all new in box parts (soft top in there somewhere, tire cover for the tire rack, I know I saw an MSD ignition box in the stack, suppoused to be some more new items in the back, also the son said to go ahead and take any and all tools he left in there.)

Pictures to come in next post in about 10 minutes. Tell me what you guys think, I know it is going to be a project for a decade to come ;) the only thing that worries me is redoing the wiring harness as I have never done that.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Well, I've had two EBs and one '89 4Runner. My two EBs were on the original side, so no EFI engines and such. The 4Runner had the coldest A/C I've ever had. It was comfortable, EXTREMELY dependable and I've got NO IDEA why I sold it! I know why your PO wants his back. The 4Runner most definitely gets the nod for dependability and creature comforts. However, if you want a fun vehicle that will turn heads, have people follow you to ask questions, one that will appreciate...go Bronco! ;D

Attachments

• 4runner.jpg
    4runner.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 8
  • katemcy35mm2007copy2.jpg
    katemcy35mm2007copy2.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Here is a link to the pics I took tonight. All opinions welcome, I hope you guys are always willing to answer questions no matter how stupid and provide a helping hand. I can fix a computer in a snap, have always done my own auto work when time permitted, but never some of the things I need to know or need to do. I can follow any instructions and do any job as long as I have some guidance. You guys might have just adopted a new younger (for some of you older) brother. ;)

Check out the pics.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/screamsalvation/

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Lol, the AC in my runner is the same, really cold until I have to hit the pedal on the v6. The heat will dry your skin out so bad you can't use it on full blast. But I know that in the next year or two it will need a new engine, the 3zve hasn't blown a headgasket yet (some people blow one every year on that engine) but it is leaking oil and the engine has always had some of a click to it. I was told that the PO before the last guy used it for years and it was involved in an engine fire. After the fire it was torn down and the harness and engine was completely redone. So thinking even how much I love the 4Runner, it might end up costing me a lot more than it is worth.

Plus one side of me somehow loves the fact of the all METAL interior of the bronco... no plastic... makes me drool for some reason.

My plans so far as follows, get her to my town next month. Frame on a car dolley or trailer, body and parts in a large uhaul. She will be going in a local storage unit where i will be working on her since I unfortunately dont have a garage. I want to scuff up the frame again and do durabak bedliner over the paint, axles will be sandblasted and done with durabak. Body will go to my fiances house where I can then sandblast the underside and any and all rust I see, underside will be done in durabak liner also. Interior floor board will also be done in durabak. After this I will prime and put some temp paint on any exterior rust and begin wiring and rebuilding.

billh1289

Contributor
Loc.
Jackson, NJ
Doesn't look bad at all. You will see that the members here are extremely helpful. Welcome to the sickness. Where are you located?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
Plus one side of me somehow loves the fact of the all METAL interior of the bronco... no plastic... makes me drool for some reason.

You and me both! That 4Runner six will be very expensive to replace when it comes time, but with only 170k, you're just past your break-in schedule. ;D

That Bronco looks worth $5k to me. There might be more rust in there than you've mentioned though. Look up in the door posts from the floor with a flashlight, floorboards, in the cowl, anywhere you can get a flashlight beam into. I can't wait for you to start finishing it though! ;D

OH, and support that body! That thing will fold up like a soft taco if you don't brace the door jambs.

BooRae

Loc.
Abita Springs, LA
Haven't read the full thread, so I don't know if someone has made this point, but, which one will be worth more in 10 years? Probably not the 4Runner (and I have the utmost respect for 4Runners). Also, which one will have people honking there horn a waving to you because you have a cool ride.
I'd say go for it!

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Clinton Ms. Looking over these old pics It looks like it was an automatic on the column. The good thing atleast about it being torn down is I can rebuild it any way that I wish so am definately thinking manual trans now and several other things.

Baja, I rolled around all that I could and couldn't spot any more rust, I became a rust expert when I had a badly rusted 74 RoadRunner (so I hope I noticed any and all that it has, but I could have missed some), but with the position of the body I couldn't get up and under the hood, door jambs looked good with only one suspected area of surface rust. Also, how do you suggest supporting the body especially during transportation, 2x4s cut and put into place? Doors put back in for the transportation? Hit me up with ideas ;)

I am a little concerned about the engine and would like to try and get it atleast firing up somehow as to keep it running good, all it has ever had was been some oil put into the cylinders and turned over with a wrench.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Very nice.. You are definitely getting your moneys worth and alot more in my opinion. The fenders are cut though, which again in my opinion is a good thing. I really like the look of a cut Bronco but I can't bring myself to cutting an uncut fender.

OP
OP
S

ScreamSalvation

Ah ok. See, having not been around these old Broncos I couldn't tell if they had been cut or not. She is going to be something else when I get her going.

Already have a guy for the paint and body work.

What you guys think about a Metallic Bronze with a pearl grill and top? With the rot in the drivers edge of the top I still don't know if it could be saved.
Black bedliner interior floor, black leather seats, and black bedliner dash?

Too extreme? If the dash is uncut I do not plan to cut it, but I want it to have the badass rugged look that these trucks seem to excrete. Center console definately for the stereo if the dash is uncut.

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
Sounds like a plan.. I like the idea of not cutting the dash.. 2 of mine were already cut and the other has the factory AM radio..\

You need to ride over to GrayRock ORV park on March 14th and 15th. The Bama Gang is having a ride on those days..

http://www.grayrockorv.com/