• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Possible Stroppe?

alpike99

Sorry if this has been discussed, but time is critical and i am just looking for some information. I have been looking for a cheap bronco for some time now and finally found one. I have talked to the previous owner of the bronco and he said he thought it might have been a Stroppe. What he told me...71 model with a 351, a funny roll bar that didnt allow for a backseat. I know that this isnt much info, but it is all i have. I can get the Bronco for 2500 bucks or less is what the current owner told the guy i was talking to. How would I know if it was a Stroppe? VIN? Thanks

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
If it was a Stroppe, that would be awsome. If that is the case, it should be restored and put back into its original condition. I am not a Stoppe expert. Some on this board should be able to help you identify if this is one.

OP
OP
A

alpike99

i checked out the bajabronco page and i remembered that the guy told me that it had 4 point racing type seatbelt. so, heres hoping

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
Look at the registry on the page Jack linked to and compare the VIN of this Bronco with those on the registry. Also, be on the lookout for a 6-digit DSO code and a missing color code.

Good luck! Hope it is one!

ransil

Bronco Guru
Contact Andrew at the above website for detail on how to identify it, he the expert.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hi guys, Sounds exciting. Get me the VIN and dso if you would, and I'll tell you what I can. A good clue to a production Baja is a 6-digit DSO starting with 87 and a blank color code on the glovebox. And if thats not there, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't somehow Stroppe modified. My Tampico was taken there when new from the lot at Long Beach Ford for conversion to full Baja package - so you see, there are shades of grey. Good luck!

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Although I see where you're coming from, a man (or woman) should be able to build his (her) truck the way he (she) sees fit.

I don't think there's ever been any argument about what anyone can or can't do with their truck. Just people commenting on the rareness and value of what they have and what they would do. If someone wants to cut up $30K collectors treasure and turn it into a $5K beater, they have every right to do just that.

Hope you found a treasure.

6677ebman

Bronco Guru
Well, all Stroppes were automatics, right, and if it were a Stroppe you should find some signs of orange paint somewhere, inner fenders, etc....a foam coated steering wheel, slotted mag wheels, 'ya see any of that?? Are you in AL?? Were you a Pike?? I can vouch for that!:)

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Actually, some Bajas came thru with the 3speed still on the tree. I know of 3 built in April/May 71. More of an exception to the rule, but they exist. Baja71's was this way and a 1-owner truck. BUt definitely look for an Auto as they were more common. Wide steel wheels are another less recognized(but by documentation more common) Stroppe feature. Post a pic when you get the chance!

KuttySark

Loc.
Southern California
I don't think there's ever been any argument about what anyone can or can't do with their truck. Just people commenting on the rareness and value of what they have and what they would do. If someone wants to cut up $30K collectors treasure and turn it into a $5K beater, they have every right to do just that.

I'm not advocating that taking, say, a Balloon Chaser, and turning into a big fug mess is ok. My point is that the rational that simply because a truck is collectible, it needs an expensive restoration isn't in the spirit of what a Baja Bronco is.

Willie Stroppe put it best when he selected an absolutely BUILT red Bronco out of San Diego (can't remember the owner's name right now) to be the FFF Truck of the Year in 2005. He said that that truck best reflected his dad's vision of what a Bronco can be. I took that to mean that Bill Stroppe believed in building to race, to crawl, to enjoy, to love, and most of all to drive until the wheels fall off - not just for the investment.

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yes, that was also an option to have a 4-speed. I have one in pieces in my spare room! (the whole chassis/drivetrain).

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I think that a Stroppe Bronco has a nice piece of history attached to it and that history would be forever lost if the vehicle was not honored by being put back to the way it can show off its heritage.

With that said, an ower has every right to do whatever they wish with it.

Some day I would like to restore a Stroppe. I have even thought of re-creating a Stroppe. Once my 76 is finished, I may just start looking.

Chris B.

broncojack

Contributor
Hi guys, Sounds exciting. Get me the VIN and dso if you would, and I'll tell you what I can. A good clue to a production Baja is a 6-digit DSO starting with 87 and a blank color code on the glovebox. And if thats not there, it doesn't necessarily mean it isn't somehow Stroppe modified. My Tampico was taken there when new from the lot at Long Beach Ford for conversion to full Baja package - so you see, there are shades of grey. Good luck!

What was the DSO on your Tampico Bronco?

Last edited:

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The DSO is 71 on Tampico. She's just a regular "cigar lighter delete" non-sport that was sitting on the lot at Pacific Ford in Long Beach. So no special color codes or even 6 digit DSO.

WelcomePic2.jpg

WelcomePic4.jpg