• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

possibly 7 shives/pulleys on an i6

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Looks like this rebuild may have quite a few 'accessories'.
I may have to rework the whole front of the engine:

* 'on board air"
* PS
* lrg alt (PullPal welder)
* sno plow pump (seasonal so may B the outter most pulley so as to ease the belt change)
* H2O
* HB
(that's @ least 7 ! ).

I'd like to avoid any idlers, serpintine & remote H20 on this 4.2L 6 cyl.

I have some v8 and several 170, 200 & 250 brackets and the custom i6 PS bracket I made as the 170 now runs with (POS %) .
I see more i6 drivers on here these days so thought I'd ask.

Lastly - any one swap their radiater to the other side of the L shaped bracket that holds it (frnt of core support rather than back - run a 'push' rather than 'pull' fan? Could give me more room…need to ditch the hood release & use the aftrmrkt in-cab cable release.

~All ideas considered~
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
First off, the cam is run by a timing chain inside the engine, so that isn't an issue.

Most of the rest of it can be done with a well optioned factory parts. Find the right person who ordered A/C and power steering but kept the I6 engine. This will mean junkyard shopping old Ford cars. Now the snow plow pump, that gets tricky. You will have to fabricate something for that. Since you want it clutched, they do make hydraulic pumps that have an A/C compressor style clutch on them. They tend to be a bit large. My thought would be a mount where it could be mounted where the A/C compressor OBA would go.

CraigS

By 4.2 do you mean a 250? A good source for optioned cars would be Granadas and Monarchs that came with a 250.

OP
OP
chrlsful

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
ele PS & a clutched plow pump, those sound interesting (hopefully not expensive…
I wouldn't have to drop the belt on the plow 9 mo of the yr.
Thanks Bowsher - hafta ck-in w/Chuck on the PS pump (& it's 'pulley').

Sorry, counted the cam. That's down to 6 & w/ur helpful suggestions may B back to normalicy! We'll C~
(BTW: no junk yrd doners in the NE Hu Hess Hay, all go to the crusher round here).

Loc.
Liberal\Claremore
I don't see why a 3 groove pully won't work. 1: power steering, 2: onboard air/alt or onboard air/sp pump 3: what you didn't combine on #2. Might take a little creativity fabing up mounts, but it can be done.

OP
OP
chrlsful

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
Thanks for your responce.

I DO have a 3 groove HB or 'damptner' ($170!) but can't see my way thru the geomitry…
the headers hit when an AC is placed in the oem position. Does any 1 have a schematic (sketch of where the items would go)?

BruceAH

Loc.
Apple Valley
Plow pumps are often run off a secondary belt...typically from the alternator (or possibly the power steering pump). Run a 2-groove pulley on the alt., drive it on one groove...use the other to run a belt to the plow pump. If the plow belt is outermost, it's real easy to remove for the summer months.

Usually this approach works fine...but there is some risk if the primary belt can't maintain sufficient grip. Also, it may take some care and fabrication skill to insure proper belt alignment on the respective pulleys.

OP
OP
chrlsful

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
That's great, thanks!
The pump on there right now (a 170ci which will B swapped out for a bigger i6) has an older Fisher pump. (Tightening) Adjustment is provided by sliding the pump body closer/further from it's pulley.

"...some care and fabrication skill to insure proper belt alignment …"
that's where I'm at currently. I guess I need to work it out on a piece of paper 1st (side view & frnt view) to get better ideas on the system's end product…

I appreciate you all's posts. 10 yrs ago folk drummed me off the site due to lack of the bent8 ("just get an 8 cyl. Y U messin w/a 6?"). May B I wuz too thin skinned.
8^ 0