• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powder coating

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
Has anyone used the Eastwood powder coating system or another system. I am doing a total restore for a customer and need a lot of stuff done and thought about trying it. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I've heard good things about it, it's def a step up from the harbor freight gun...

durwood71

My Harbor Freight gun seems to work pretty decent but it's the only one I have experience with. But I use powder from Columbia Coatings, not HF.

daddycreswell

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lebanon, TN
I have the eastwood setup, that I use to powder coat stainless steel tumblers. It works well for the price. Watch the "barrel" of the gun. It likes to free spin and break off. A dab of glue fixes the problem. I seen yesterday that Columbia Coatings has a new one out that is $124.99, the bottle is one the top of it. I think it is a pre-order though.

Last edited:

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I use the HF gun, it does a decent job and I only do small parts. I have found that you get much better results when buying better powder.

1strodeo

Squirrel Watcher
Loc.
Wisconsin
I may be looking into this as well, just called the local shop and they want $80 per 15" wheel to powdercoat

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I may be looking into this as well, just called the local shop and they want $80 per 15" wheel to powdercoat

The trick is getting a 15" rim in the oven after its been coated...most home ovens are on the small side

HigginsHorse

I've got the eastwood gun and it's good for the price. Professional guns are much more versatile and also much more expensive. There aren't many mid-range choices. I've done rims, bronco parts, tumblers, wagon parts etc. Biggest issue is size of your oven and the fact that you need a separate oven. You don't want to bake bronco parts and eat out of the same oven. Having a good ground and fresh powder will increase your chances of a nice finish.

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
The trick is getting a 15" rim in the oven after its been coated...most home ovens are on the small side

LOL.....don't do it in the house...my wife is still pissed at me for baking my headers with VHT. Stunk the house and oven up something awful.

Headers look great......

Tim

OP
OP
BRONCO26

BRONCO26

Loc.
SENOIA
I think I will give the Eastwood setup a try but from what I understand everybody is agreeing on use the better powder is a must. I will let you know how it turns out! Thanks for all the feedback good info as usual.