• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Powdercoat or rattle can stock rims

smittymike19

so im going to run a stock look on my 72. The rims that came with it are rusted on the inside but are pretty nice on the outside. I was going to get them either powdercoated or just rattle can them. I think ill be sometimes running them with hubcaps and other times without. Will taking the hubcaps on and off just wreck the finish regardless of whether they are spray painted or powdercoated? if its going to wreck the powdercoat id rather save the cash and just spray paint. Thoughts? Thanks.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
spray paint them. hubcaps will cut through anything you put on the wheels.

HigginsHorse

Powdercoat should stand up better than rattle can, but PC durability will depend on prep and curing. I powdercoat if I have the option. It'll look better longer.

jmhend

Bronco Guru
I think this is an option / subjective view. I can see pros and cons to both options.

Paint Pros:
Cheap
Easy to touch up

Paint Cons:
Not as durable as Powder Coating

Powder Coating Pro's:
Durable
Strong
Longevity

Powder Coating Con's:
Expensive
Added thickness that can cause a problem with valve stems, hub caps, lug nuts etc...
Not easily touched up

Just my .2

I have gone with both options. Good luck with your decision

AC932

Contributor
I'd go with a rattle can. Every time you take the hubcaps off/on, it's gonna scratch it. May as well go with the cheaper option. I keep a little can of model paint and a brush in the glove box for touchups when I'm feeling really picky.

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
If your planning on taking the hubcaps off and on I would rattle can them. Powder coating is expensive and looks really nice but those hubcaps will tear them up. I think if you powder coat them you won't want to cover them up. Plus powder coating is expensive. Cost me nearly 600 bucks to do a set.

Fastmax33

Loc.
Terre Haute, Indiana
I painted mine with Duplicolor Wimbledon White spray paint and was satisfied. It is a bit more off-white than my original paint top though. I think I will sandblast and paint them with a gun the next time that I replace the tires.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
spray paint them. hubcaps will cut through anything you put on the wheels.

This ^^^

If your planning on taking the hubcaps off and on I would rattle can them. Powder coating is expensive and looks really nice but those hubcaps will tear them up. I think if you powder coat them you won't want to cover them up. Plus powder coating is expensive. Cost me nearly 600 bucks to do a set.

And this ^^^

With hubcaps, paint and you can touch up. Without hubcaps powder coating will look better longer. Question is, will you EVER want to put on hubcaps?

I ran my 74 Ranger for years with white steelies and no hubcaps - a look I really like. But lately I wanted the full stock appearance so I put the hubcaps back on. The wheels are painted so If I want to go back to the white steelie look I can just touch them up.

elan

Loc.
s
I just did some 1950 Willys wheels with spray paint out of can. I didn't powder coat as I knew Discount Tire would chip them. Well guess what...I was right. But, at least I can touch them up. Had they been powered there would be no way for touch up.