• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power 4 wheel drum??

SprBronc

I have a 66 thats has the little master cylinder. Single line from the master to a distribution block. Brakes are in good working condition. I just got a power booster and brakcket assy. Can I bolt this on and stick the stock master cylinder on the end?? Will I see an improvement?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You want to add more pressure to an already inherently flawed design? You might want to rethink that considering what a tandem master cylinder and a little bit of brake line costs.

OP
OP
SprBronc

SprBronc

I was keeping the stock MC because it has some kind of dealeo where it keeps slight pressure on the system so the drum brakes dont fully bleed out. I dont know if I'm explaining this right. I do have a dual MC that came with the Booster, but its for Disc/Drum...not Drum/Drum? What should I do

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The "deleo" is called a residual pressure valve...it maintains ~10 psi in the system to keep the drum shoe springs from collapsing the wheel cylinders. You can buy an inline residual pressure valve from Wilwood for under $20. A different MC is probably cheaper and easier.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Go ahead and do the duel master cylinder upgrade. Just get a master cylinder for 4 wheel drum brakes. If you are still not sure, get one for a '74 with 4 wheel power drum brakes, that is what you will have. The duel master cylinder isn't there for braking performance, it is there because federal law stated there needed to be redundency in the braking system in the event of a partial failure. You will also need to upgrade the brake light switch at the same time. Stock parts work just fine.

As for "an improvment", what kind of improvment are you looking for? the stock manual 4 wheel drums should be capable of locking all 4 tires if you press hard. If not then you have other braking problems. All the power booster will do is let you brake with less effort from your foot. Any fade, pull, long stopping distance issues you have now will still be there with a booster, maybe even more pronounced with it.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I am running a power unit on my 74 Ranger with 4 wheel drums and it works great. I recommend upgrading to a dual MC as others have recommended.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Having both 4 whl drum with the power assist will stop better than front disc non power. The power drum set-up will lock up easier, but will stop better than front disc without power. I've ran both and was surprised the disc set-up didn't do better.Now both broncos are 4 wheel disc. I may be doing a hydroboost soon.

OP
OP
SprBronc

SprBronc

Hydroboost was just done to my 70 Bronco...Damn, I didnt know braking could be so fun:cool: