• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Brake Vac Connection

mattnduke

I picked up a brake booster from TBP and have it all ready to go. Except I can't figure out where to connect the vac line from the booster. I've read you can connect it to the manifold or the carb on the back. I've got an Edelbrock carb and the connection on the back has a braided line already coming off of it which connects to one of the gasket covers. Looks to be some sort of breather. The front of the carb has a nipple coming out of it with nothing connected to it. It fits the hose line supplied with the booster perfectly. Am I ok to use that connection on the carb? Or should it find a way to tee off the one on the back?

As for connecting it to the manifold, I have no clue where to even start.....

Thanks for the help!!

Bferrari

Is there a port plugged off on the manifold itself behind the carb? If so, I would use that.

OP
OP
M

mattnduke

Sorry, I'm a bit mechanically illiterate. By the manifold, you're basically saying the big piece on top of the motor that the carb is bolted down to? There are a bunch of bolts that hold the manifold in place. But there are a few holes back behind the carb on the manifold that are plugged off with threaded bolts that have hex heads on top to loosen/tighten. I undid one to see what it was all about. I tried starting the motor with the hex bolt out and it wouldn't start and spit and sputtered. Does that sound like the right place to get a threaded nipple that fits to connect the hose to? :)

Bferrari

That's the spot! That area is direct manifold vacuum and removing the plug gave you a very large vacuum leak. Use a threaded nipple at that spot and you should be on your way!

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Remove the hex head plug you had previously removed. Thread one of these into the hole and hook your vacuum hose up to it. The nipple is an easy to find part at any autopart store:

nipples-intake-manifold-vacuum-wht-1581-507-500x500.JPG

OP
OP
M

mattnduke

Thanks guys!! Worked perfectly and now my brakes kick some serious booty. Thanks again!