• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power / Disc Brake Conversion Cost

Yooper74

I'm looking to add power and disc brakes to a 74 and was quite surprised at the cost of the packaged kits. I've been catching up on the tech articles on here and see they can be converted using older chevy parts.

Can anyone provide me a good feel to how much I would expect to spend doing the chevy conversion?

I do not want to spend the next month researching compatibility and searching for parts to only save a little bit. The convenience factor of buying a kit is worth something to me.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Since it's a 74 it should have a dana44 up front. That gives you the option of going with ford disc brakes up front. If you search the junkyards it can be done for a couple hundred bucks. Look for em on 78-79 bronco or f-150 4x4. The f-150 might be 76-79. As far as power brakes go hydroboost. If you're doing it yourself it can be done for about the same $$ as vacuum assist and works far better.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Power brakes and disk brakes are independent of each other. Power brakes just make a lighter pedal. Disk brakes add capacity (don't fade as easily, less prone to water, less prone to pull, fewer moving parts, etc.)

The cost of the Disk brakes based on GM parts is mostly based on what you can get the parts for. 20 years ago when the article was written it was still fairly easy to find used parts in good shape for cheap. As time has gone by the 70's trucks are now collectors items. The junk has been crushed out when scrap prices were high and the stuff that remains is being built up and not scrapped. The good part is you can still get the parts. After market reproductions. That is what you find on all the venders sites. But if you live in an area where there are still old trucks in scrap yards that will sell parts for cheap, you can get better deals.

Power brakes are a little different. Very few Broncos with factory vacuum brakes are in any scrap pile. There was never the selection of used parts to build a vacuum booster like you can do with disk brakes. The aftermarket kits have always been the go to way to get a vacuum booster. But about 20 years ago we found that hydroboost works really good on Broncos. better than the traditional vacuum booster. For the longest time this was always done fabricating parts at home. Now there are kits.

So that also comes down to what can you do? If you are just looking for bolt on parts, you will be buying out of a catalog and paying the prices. But if you are a bit of a fabricator, getting some used parts can make it a lot less expensive.

OP
OP
Y

Yooper74

thanks for the thoughts. Maybe i'll swing over to the local salvage yard and see what they might have around.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just get the kit from a vendor and save yourself a month of rounding up worn out hubs, rotors, and calipers.

Then you will have a brand new knukle out front end.

Then get a vacuume booster kit from a vendor also.

syndicate1

Contributor
Out of curiosity, are any of the vendors selling Ford conversion kits? Is there a benefit of installing a Ford kit vs. a Chevy kit? I have a ‘74 as well with a Dana 44.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Duff was the only one making a Ford based kit.

Some will claim that it is easier to change an axle after you break a U-joint with a Ford dick knuckle because the center hole is larger. There are a few arguments about which caliper slider works better (I prefer GM). And the various caliper piston sizes you can get. I will also mention that the GM has a lot more options for pad material if you actually want to shop around instead of 4 options from the local parts store.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
GM is way easier because you dont have to separate ball joints or tie rods.

You just swap disk spindle, caliper bracket, rotor and caliper and your done

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
all of the Bronco vendors on here can help with disc Brake conversions.

Are you ever on eBay?

Search for Bronco disc brakes. Dan at Horsepowersales does a great job of providing great options for disc Brakes all in one kit. Add vacuum power assist if you want, add extended axle brake lines if you want. Chevy kits with No grinding.

RottenBanana

I didn't see an option for power assist from Horsepower sales on eBay. Maybe I should contact him...

rguest3

Contributor
Bronco Guru
They also have the Vacuum Booster to replace the original one. You will need the 76-77 Power Brake Bracket.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Note that the 76/77 factory power brake booster won't fit the '75 and older unless you modify the inner fender.

That aftermarket version that looks like the '76/77 bracket moves the master up to clear the inner fender, but I recall it takes a smaller booster to make it clear the hood.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The later aftermarket booster setups used a mustang 2 booster. Then when those got hard to find they switched to the flatter booster. I thing the flatter style is a gm. I kept going through boosters stopping 35s so I swapped to hydroboost. Wish I'd have done that sooner.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I did a Horsepowersales install for a member here and it took just a few hours, easy breezy.

1badd73

Here is the parts list I used when I did my GM disc brake conversion about 15 years ago. I posted the information on this sight right around that time as well.I recently built a HP dana 44 and replaced most parts. The list is old but can be used to cross reference or look up parts. Also keep in mind prices are not the same anymore. My bronco already had power drum brakes at the time. I now have a GM hydroboost unit with a corvette master cylinder.

Here's all the prices and part #'s These parts are all purchased from Auto Zone. You'll also need chevy spindles from an early to mid 70's blazer and backing plates. I used 74 chevy blazer parts.

ALL PARTS ARE LIFETIME WARRANTY
#024196 0524 performance friction pads comp set $27.99
#095745 C503 RH disc brake caliper $12.99 +$10.00 core=$22.99
#095752 C502 LH disc brake caliper $12.99 +$10.00 core=$22.99
#048859 5492 brake rotor/hub comp. $30.99x2=$61.98
#788737 set 37 wheel bearing,Timken $13.99x2=$27.98
#788422 set 45 wheel bearing,Timken $13.99x2=$27.98
#704049 H5002 brake guide bolts $6.99x2=$13.98
#001799 313938 banjo bolts 7/16"x20x1 1/16 $1.99x2=$3.98
Total$209.86 without tax.Minus core charge of $20.00 new total=$189.86