• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power loss going up Mountian ????

Moxie69

Loc.
Waynesboro, Pa
Ok, finally got her inspected and decided to drive it to work for the first time today. First long drive since I bought her. It was doing great until I started to climb a slight mountain. Half way up she started bucking, then be fine for a few seconds, then bucking again. Is it possible it was not getting fuel ?? I was running off the auxiliary tank which gauge indicated was little less than half. I pulled over to let traffic pass and headed down the other side of mountain. I did switch over to main tank , which is full, half way down and it did not repeat. Any thoughts? Btw, wish someone told me the heaters in these things are the greatest;D

Bferrari

Do you have and have you checked your fuel filters? I had a similar problem with mine due to too much crap in the fuel tank.

OP
OP
M

Moxie69

Loc.
Waynesboro, Pa
Power loss going up mountain ?

I did check filters, well, not since this happened a little while ago. I just put new fuel filters on last week when it was inspected.

wildbill

Old Bronco Guy
;D;D;D Mite look at the plug wires they could be braking down under load. Good luck. :cool::cool::cool: Bill:cool:%);D

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Have you checked the screens in the tank, they can get pretty torn up

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You said "filters" plural. Do you have more than one in the same line? I've seen instances when two filters was one too many.
Usually if you have one in-line, and the one in the stock carburetor, that hasn't caused any issues that I've been aware of. But two aftermarket ones in the same line was too much flow restriction.

Of course, it probably depends more on the type of filter than the actual number, but thought I'd throw that out there as another possibility.

Good luck.

Paul

OP
OP
M

Moxie69

Loc.
Waynesboro, Pa
Sorry, just one filter. It happened on the way home also.However, it lasted just a few seconds then made the remaining 15 mile journey home without issue. I was on main tank this time.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
Is your bronco carbureted or fuel injection? It make a big difference in the replies you'll get.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
My 74 started to act like yours did, and I went through the same scenario, change out fuel filter ,changed plug wirers, messed with timing and carb.It ended up being my Electronic ignition box was going bad. It would act like it was running out of fuel.