• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Box Part 2- Now I really need help

redbronc72

I posted a thread a couple weeks ago about possibly rebuilding my power steering box. Well I decided to do it, the actual problem seal was no problem but curiosity got the best of me and I went for the whole thing. Heres where my problems start, sorry I'm not up to speed on the actual names of some of these parts but hopefully you get the drift. I finished replacing everything in what im calling the valve body (the assembly that the steering linkage connects to and drives the worm gear) went to put it back together and when I set it down it rolled off my workbench and landed on the shaft. Theres the shaft and an oversized sleeve inside the housing that it goes through. There is also a metal stud on the side of the shaft apparently it is suppossed to be staked into a hole in that sleeve. It appears the fall knocked that stud out of its hole so now the shaft cannot go in straight. I assume I need to file off the burs on the stud and restake it in place. But I dont see a good way to do that. Help please? Is this fixable or did I just ruin my rebuild and coincidentally my box?

Thanks

OP
OP
R

redbronc72

It looks to me like the pin in the first picture goes in the top hole in the second picture like it is in the third picture. Is this right? and how do i make it stay?

powersteering3_zpsac22f5c3.jpg

powersteering4_zpsc089ed87.jpg

powersteering4_zpsc089ed87.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
The pin stays in the stub shaft. It will eventually go into that hole in the spool valve once you put it all together.