• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering bracket

69BroncoNH

Hi Experts,

I'm gathering the pieces and parts to convert my 69 302 to power steering. I thought I had everything I needed but have run into a road block. The aluminum PS pump bracket has a 7/16 thread, but my stock 302 heads only have a 3/8 thread on the drivers side. So, I guessing I've got the wrong bracket/bolt.

Can someone confirm that I'm not nuts! :(

Thanks, John

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
Throw the silly dual threaded bolt away and go to the hardware store for a bolt that is about the length of the bracket and matches the threads on your engine. I've installed several stock PS systems with a $2.00 bolt from the hardware store. It makes it ten times easier than the silly stock bolt with different size threads on each end.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
The stock bracket has a larger hole at the back and a smaller hole at the front. I obviously use a bolt that fits in the smaller of the two holes. It is a loose fit so the bracket can pivot to set the tension, but once you snug down the bolt in the head and the bolt to the tensioning bracket, the pump stays in place.

The silly stock bolt is a press fit that you will need to remove with a punch and hammer.