• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering convertion options

vtboy51

I'm looking for some feedback. Should I try to scavenge together all the parts needed to convert my '68 from manual to power steering, or just buy the entire bolt on kit from one of the suppliers?? I'm assuming I'd save some $$ by scavenging, but is it worth the headaches of locating all the pieces...

Teal68

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Inlet Beach
I think in the parts classifieds there is a complete system for sale. Check it out. Probably save money, but unless the seller knows the condition you may need to rebuild some of it. At least with the new kit you know it's all good to go.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Find a 4x4x2 box in the clasifieds, Saginaw pump from napa, pump bracket from a vendor. Then just belts and hoses. Pretty easy.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Depends on how much fabrication you can do as well. Wide range of purely bolt on (stock) and as the amount of fab goes up the option do as well.

I think there is a piecemeal approach that is bolt on with a mix of junkyard parts with only needing one specific Bronco power steering part (upper steering column). Does take a drill and an angle grinder for power tools.
'01.5-04 Xterra box (Delphi, compression fittings not banjo fittings)
'99 Jeep steering box for the sector shaft that fits the Bronco pitman arm
'99 Mercury Villiger lower steering shaft flipped backwards that fits the Xterra steering box.
Half of a Nissan Titan under dash rag joint that fits the splined end of the Villiger shaft and mates to the rag joint end of the Bronco upper shaft.

There is a little grind in a spot in the splines that is needed for pinch bolt clearance.
The steering box fits one hole on the frame, a second needs to be kissed with a drill bit. The upper two holes need to be drilled and sleeves installed to not crush the frame as you tighten the box down.

OP
OP
vtboy51

vtboy51

I've been reading a lot of post about people trying to build 4x4x2 steering boxes at home, but I see the vendors selling steering boxes pre-assembled and ready to bolt-on. Are people building there own to save money, or are the vendors version not as good quality?? I'm just trying to learn a bit more about this before I convert.

Seventee

Contributor
Loc.
In the sticks of MT
I would say mostly to save money, as long as you can source the correct boxes to do the conversion. In my case, I already had the 4x4 box and only had to spend $50 for a used Explorer box to do the input conversion. But this method also has risks as you are dealing with not one, but two used boxes with varying degrees of wear or damage, and you could end up with sloppy steering or unusable parts. Mine turned out fine but the possibility certainly exists.

The vendors sell fully rebuilt units already converted, which could be assumed to be a better product, but it does come with a price.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
The key to the 4x4x2 is finding the 4x4 box. The boxes with the correct input are dime a dozen. I have the early version from bc where chuck drilled the box to the stock eb frame holes. I added frame support on the 72. The 4x4X2 can fit the stock frame holes by redrilling the rear 2 holes on the box. When buying a pump think about a dual return for when you upgrade to hydroboost.

Crawdad

Bronco Guru
Find a whole used unit if possible somewhere around $200-$350. If you wait you can find a 4- turn or 6-turn factory PS unit. There's usually a good reason why people sell them so expect to have it rebuilt (typical costs $200 to and from). Hoses and fitting can be bought at Napa. You will also need reservoir with bracket. I like the Saginaw pump vs the ford canned ham. It may take years u a few months to get all the pieces together. Just be patient and chk out eBay too. If you are going bigger than 35s then the 4x4x2 is a worthy option.