• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Fluid In Transmission!!

gibsonplayer45

What do i need to do. THeres prob 1/8 a quart of ps fluid in my tranny right now! dont ask how to embarassed to tell! WHAT DO I DO!!

HELP

Justin Kennedy

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Since the PS fluid "got in there", have you run the tranny?

If not, then drop the pan and drain as the fill tube runs into the pan not the case (unless the PS fluid miracled itself into the tranny;D )

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
If you accidently poured PS fluid into the fill tube (fess up if this is what you did and more folks can help you) then drop the transmission pan and drain the fluid out and then replace with the proper Type F fluid. You pan may already have a drain plug that alleviates the need to drop the pan.

Just don't run the tranny because then the fluid will get into the T/C.

OP
OP
gibsonplayer45

gibsonplayer45

So i need to

1. remove pan
2. new filter
3. new fluid
4. done?

And what kind of fluid goes into it and how much?

Thanks guys

Justin

bronko69er

EB Addict
Loc.
Renton, WA
So i need to

1. remove pan
2. new filter
3. new fluid
4. done?

And what kind of fluid goes into it and how much?

Thanks guys

Justin

Yes remove the pan to drain the fluid (unless your pan has a drain plug on it).
New filter only if it's time, no need to change it simply due to adding the wrong fluid.
Although, you may need a new pan gasket, and can get a gasket and filter kit at a local parts store.
This part is up to your discresion.
New Fluid. (someone else can tell you type and quantity, I only have a manual)

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Type F fluid. With simply dropping or draining the pan you should only need 2 or 3 quarts at the most to refill it. Dropping the pan is easy, as is reinstalling it. Don't sweat it.

NoJoe

Loc.
san jacinto,ca.
Not to disagree but 1/8 quart is only 4 ounces and it will not harm the trans. it requires type F and will take about 10 1/2 quarts with convertor drained if you decide to change it. Joe.:cry:

hillbilly delux

Loc.
West Point, MS
Just FYI. If this tranny has never had fluid changed and it has a few miles on it. Prepare to spend some change just in case. My tranny has 38000 orig miles on it. Changed the modulator valve and filter, now the thing slips like crazy. Took it to a mechanic today. He says the metal shavings and thickness of the old fluid actually made the tranny shift ok, now with no shavings and new fluid it will slip.................= time for rebuild. Info i wish i had prior to fluid change. I would have reused the old stuff.

JiM

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
Not to disagree but 1/8 quart is only 4 ounces and it will not harm the trans. it requires type F and will take about 10 1/2 quarts with convertor drained if you decide to change it. Joe.:cry:

It's probably true that 1/8 quart won't hurt it, but why chance it? And the only way you'll fit 10 1/2 quarts of fluid into it is if you pull the trans and drain it completely, along with draining the torque convertor. Neither one of those will happen if you just drain the pan.

OP
OP
gibsonplayer45

gibsonplayer45

my dip stick only has the markings cold and hot on it. Where should it read when full??
Thanks,
Justin

Steve

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grand Junction, CO
You are sorta right Steve, you sure live in a beautiful place, wish I was back there, Joe.

Yeah, we kinda like it here, and being 90 minutes from Moab is pretty cool. :cool:

Justin, it should read at or just below the "hot" marking when the fluid is warm.

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
you shouldn't have any reading as the pump is not running and no registrable reading at the dipstick markings is possible. Really, just drop the pan and re-fill as adviced. it's not hard at all. Do you have the torque specs for the pan? also; you haven't mentioned the estimated mileage on the tranny....

OP
OP
gibsonplayer45

gibsonplayer45

ok when i dropped the pan and took the filter off a tiny spring fell from under the filter. What is this it also had a tiny little thing that was with it but where does this go?/
thanks

Justin