• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering issues

jamesonfd

Explorer pump to Bronco PS box; pump is new, box is used. Bled with about 50 turns lock to lock. No boost whatsoever. If the pump's working, fluid's full, bleed procedures followed....what's left? Hate to think about replacing the box, or a rebuild if I'm missing something. Anyone got ideas for what I might be missing?

Thanks, guys.

mattt

Bronco Guru
I wasn't able to burp the pump with just turns back and forth. I ended up using a drill with a hex socket that fit in the pump pulley bolt to spin the pump manually. It eventually burped huge, spitting the air and fluid out the reservoir. I'd guess it's not bled or you have an incorrect fitting for the hose. How did you connect the explorer pump to the box?

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
It took me at least a half hour to get mine fully bled. It took long enough that I thought I had a problem so I jumped on here for the experts opinions and everybody said just keep bleeding. It can take forever!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
How did you connect the explorer pump to the box?

This is the big question. The only method that I know worked well was to use the Lee adapter at the pump. Tom Lee has since retired and is no longer making those adapters but I believe ToddZ has some info on a new source for them.

Also verify you have the pressure line going to the forward port on the steering box.

mattt

Bronco Guru
This is the big question. The only method that I know worked well was to use the Lee adapter at the pump. Tom Lee has since retired and is no longer making those adapters but I believe ToddZ has some info on a new source for them.

Also verify you have the pressure line going to the forward port on the steering box.

Another viable option, and what I did, is to take a factory Explorer hose and whack the box/(actually rack) end off then have the standard double flare connection for the Bronco box swedged on. Mine has worked well so far. The Explorer hose is more than long enough, you'll only use about half the length.

OP
OP
J

jamesonfd

Explorer connection is via custom built braided stainless hose with AN adapter at the box. AN adapter was from a thread on this forum. Verified that it is attached to the forward fitting. I'll try bleeding some more....

Process I've been following is wheels off the deck, cycle the wheel lock to lock repeatedly. Start, and no boost. Back to it tomorrow, thanks!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Explorer connection is via custom built braided stainless hose with AN adapter at the box. AN adapter was from a thread on this forum. Verified that it is attached to the forward fitting. I'll try bleeding some more....

Process I've been following is wheels off the deck, cycle the wheel lock to lock repeatedly. Start, and no boost. Back to it tomorrow, thanks!

That AN adapter is the problem. Here is a thread with links to adapters. http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2779092

OP
OP
J

jamesonfd

Just for clarity while waiting for the new adapter, pulled the pressure line at the box and ran the engine. Definitely pushing fluid to the box. Working solo so I can't pull the return line to make sure it's working through the box.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Just for clarity while waiting for the new adapter, pulled the pressure line at the box and ran the engine. Definitely pushing fluid to the box. Working solo so I can't pull the return line to make sure it's working through the box.

That's not really going to tell you much. The pump should be providing around 1200 psi when the box is against the stops. When the line is open the pressure is near 0 psi. Don't even try to measure the pressure unless you have the correct tools to do it. That kind of pressure can cut fingers off easily.