• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Issues

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
Having trouble getting my P/S to operate properly. Truck was having a hard time steering to the right, but seems to steer left fine. I read in an old post about a guy that was having the same problem, he bought a new pump and the problem was solved. So I bought a new pump, but I am still having the same problem.

I read some other old posts about backing off the nut on top of the P/S box to loosen up the steering. Ive tried backing off this nut 1/4 turn at a time all the way out, but steering only became tighter.

Can anyone give me some advice about this? Am I even backing off on the correct screw? (have posted a picture of the nut on top of my P/S box)

Attachments

• bronco pics 001 edit.jpg
    bronco pics 001 edit.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 297
S

swoood

Call Chuck at BC. There is a specific torque required in adjusting that nut. Something like 11 in-lbs. Problem is this torque is measured at the steering box input shaft. You need to put a socked and wrench over it and start turning your box from lock to lock. You will feel it get tight around center. This is what the adjustment affects. Tighten the nut on top until you feel about 11in-lbs when going through center.

Not sure if this is your problem, but that is how to adjust the setting.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Not sure if your just backing the nut off or not But the nut should be loosened then turn the shaft in the center out. Make sure you hold the center chaft while tightening the nut back down.

OP
OP
K

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
Yes, I have been locking and unlocking the locknut before and after each turn.

Not sure I'm on the right track with this nut though, seems to only adjust the play in my steering wheel. Doesn't seem to make my steering any harder or easier.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
Keoni said:
Yes, I have been locking and unlocking the locknut before and after each turn.

Not sure I'm on the right track with this nut though, seems to only adjust the play in my steering wheel. Doesn't seem to make my steering any harder or easier.

I'm no expert here but I always thought that was for the tension on the worm gear. Usually never needs to be touched. Bad things can happen if it's not set right. It'd be the last place I'd look for correcting a problem like you describe. But what do I know?

OP
OP
K

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
Yeah me too, as far as I know its the wrong thing to do. I know its supposed to have a certain amount of torrqe on it.

But my steering is so messed up and with my lack of knowledge of power steering, I'm probly going to have to buy new anyway. Just trying a last ditch effort to correct it.

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
You might want to try isolating parts. Again, I'm no expert but here's what I'd do. start by disconnecting the linkage from the box and see which half has the issue. When you have an answer to that question, you'll be halfway to solving it. Let me know what you find. I'll cross my fingers for you hoping it ends up being a cheap/easy fix.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Are you sure there is not just air in your system? That is what mine was like after my install, just before the original (76) pump went out...one side turned easier. I worked it lock to lock and it helped, but the original pump had seen better days...it would work for a few days, then go out, then kick back in at wierd times and then work for another day and then go out again. I am going to order a new HD pump here in the next day or so. Depending on where you got it (completely disassembled, dry, all still connected) and how your install went, you may just have air still in the system. Sorry if you've already addressed that, but you did say you were new to the PS thing. Let us know. In case you dont know what I am talking about...jack the front end up in the air and turn the steering wheel lock to lock a bunch. That should help get the air out of your system. Make sure to recheck your PS fluid and dont overfill. Either way, I would try to get that set screw back to where it was originally and look at other parts of the system.

Slick

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Petoskey, MI
:p

I had the same prollum my self...

IF it's same as mine... send it to west texas off road (Pwr. Steering Box that is) and have it rebuilt, I had the turn ratio swapped out at the same time, but pretty much all that was left useable was the case, everything else worked... but barley and had to be replaced. :p the turn 1 way but not other sounds like u have the same issue... but ya never know.

If you JUST need to rebuild it you only need to spend $100.00 but I have a basically better than new box now and spent like $550.

good luck what ever it turns out be'n :D

take care

:cool:

popp75sport

Loc.
Springfield MO
I dont know much about steering boxes, but i believe the screw you are adjusting is used for centering the box left to right.. There was an article in last months bronco driver on rebuilding them.

OP
OP
K

Keoni

Loc.
Newport News, Va
Thanks for all the advice all. I havn't had much time to work on it so far this week. Guess I didnt mess with that screw too bad it still centers perfect, and rides down the road straght. But after what I read from yall I have tried bleeding air from the system. I put it up on jack stands steered it from left to right a hundred times or so, let it down and still same results, except it steers hard both ways now, feels like no power steering at all. While its up on jack stands it steers great. The P/O put the power steering box in within the past year, I believe the box has been built up, it is three turns lock to lock. doesnt seem like the box would go bad this soon. It only malfuntions when there is weight on it. But I have tried two pumps now. and both seem to be working fine.

stry9ker

Valve

Sorry to ask this question in someone elses post...but he had the picture up already. Does anyone know where I can get the siver bent piece of ?valve? right above the circle to the right in the picture. It has the hose connected to it. Mine broke in half, and I'm having a hell of a time finding another.

Thanks.

Mike

S/C-HD2002

Loc.
CO
I had a '74 6 turn box that had a sticky flow control valve. It would turn one way completely by its self and the other felt about like manual steering. Needless to say the box had to be torn down and rebuilt.

The nut and screw are for pre load adjustment . You can damage your steering box if you tighten this to much.

Here is a link that talks about adjustment

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/fullsize/ifsjaboxadj.htm

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Re: Valve

stry9ker said:
Sorry to ask this question in someone elses post...but he had the picture up already. Does anyone know where I can get the siver bent piece of ?valve? right above the circle to the right in the picture. It has the hose connected to it. Mine broke in half, and I'm having a hell of a time finding another.

Thanks.

Mike

I almost positive you can go to your local auto parts store and get it check out their hard brake line rack they usually have it in the back or behind the counter.

astro-mike

Your problem is in the spool valve. It's probably got some dirt in it. You can buy a seal kit fairly cheap. Just take it apart replace a few o-rings and seals and clean it out.