• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Options

hstock68

Hey I'm a young kid from California without a huge income. I'm looking for a list or at least a few options of power steering boxes that i could use or my 1968 Bronco.

Thanks,
Houston

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
There are two boxes that bolt in. The stock EB box and the lighter duty Delphi box that a lot of the vendors sell. Beyond a simple bolt in, there are all kinds of boxes that can be adapted - Scout, Toyota, Nissan, Big Bronco, F100, etc. All of these require different adapters, drilling of holes in the frame, and/or welding. If you are a decent welder, you can do the F100 conversion for $200 -$300 using used parts.

fordtrucks4ever

Bronco Guru
Loc.
DFW
The Nissan box is very close to a bolt on. A hole can be added and 2 more altered. They are plentiful in the boneyards. I just picked one up for $35 with hoses, rag joint, universal, and pitman arm. Found one that was clean and dry with no signs of leakage. I think with some modifications, the Nissan steering arm can be made to work. Otherwise there is one available that is a near bolt up. Broncofix has one tech article covering the conversion. The Scout box is bulkier than stock power steering box. Holes have to be altered and added also. I would run and hide from the F100 conversion. At least do some serious homework first before butchering your frame to make fit. Regardless which box you decide, all of the other parts can be had and found easily. Your crank and water pump pulleys, power steering pump and brackets are available from many donor vehicles. Hoses are usually made to fit and not expensive.

Cortez

Bronco Guru
I just finished my PS conversion yesterday using a nissan box. All together I have about $275 into it and let me just say...PS is Saweeet. I went from manual to PS running 33's which were almost impossible to turn with manual steering.

I picked up a 1995 nissan steering box at the pull and pay, bought a Saginaw steering pump off a brother on the forum here and had custom lines made at a hydraulic/fitting shop. The lines were the most expensive part of the whole thing. When I nabbed the steering box I didn't get the rag joint as stated above, so I bought a borgeson universal joint and mated my manual steering shaft right to the steering box...very clean approach.

I agonized over the pitman arm issue and even tried to buy a couple other options I found on the web for Superlift and Calmini parts...but in the end I reamed out the pitman arm from the nissan box and am happy with that approach.

I estimate that I saved about $700 as compared to buying a complete system through a catalog.

Good luck with yours.

triggers68

Loc.
El Dorado, AR
A friend used a Toyota set up out of a 90 something pickup. Two of the holes in the sector lined up perfect and just had to drill the other. He used the pump also and you can turn it with one finger. And thats running 35's.

OP
OP
H

hstock68

Thanks guys I can't beleive the rEsponses. What exactly do I need todo with the pitman arm. Would it face towards the rear or front ?

Cortez

Bronco Guru
on the nissan box the pitman arm faces toward the rear of the truck as it should, but the hole for the drag link needs to be reamed out (larger) to match your Ford drag link. I bought a couple of those stone looking grinder bits for my drill and opened up the hole to the right size. Others have taken the nissan pitman and ford pitman and welded them together so you have the correct ends to work.