• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power Steering Questions

carrottop596

So i am trying to put power steering on my 71 Bronco and was wondering how you guys did it. My Bronco has the original 302 in it (rebuilt of course). Wildhorses sells a kit for it, but the cheapest one they have is $750. Is there any way i can do it cheaper? If so, how difficult would it be to install and where can i get the parts?

Also, is there a way for me to tell if i have stock suspension? It looks like it already has a little bit of a lift on it (maybe enough to fit the power steering) but the previous owner did not mention anything about lifting it.

Thanks

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
Unfortunately the easiest way to put power steering in your truck is also one of the most expensive ways. The less expensive ways are for those that have mechanical skills and a large tool box filled with tools.

My suggestion is to buy a full kit from one of the venders. If you don't have the ability to re-drill your frame, I suggest you stick to the stock style power steering box and not the F-150 conversions. You are also going to need in addition to the kit, a set of double engine pullies. Then you are going to need a lower steering shaft (included in some kits) that will bolt to your upper shaft and connect to a power box. Stock or a mild lift will not make much difference. If you have a bigger lift and larger tires, you may want to look into frame braces and a dropped pitman arm.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
It will work, but you will need to weld to get this system installed and you may need to change out your steering set up depending on what you have now. You will also need an adjustable drag link and a drop down drag link bracket. This system will only clear if you have at least 2 inches of suspension lift. By the time you hire the welder, buy the adjustable drag link and drop bracket you would have been better to buy the full kit! The other issue is if you have a stock suspension, then you can't use this system anyway. The extra money spent up front will save you huge amounts of frustration and money later.

I didn't need the pulleys as I already had the proper pulleys. If you have a stock pulley set up, you will need the pulleys.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Would this kit work? http://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Power_Steering_Kit_w_HD_pump/Power_Steering_Kits

Why did you not need the pulleys in your kit?
All the kits will "work"... All depends on....

This kit is the "old school" F150 2WD conversion. This is the conversion I did about 12 years ago, and still run. This is an easy conversion to source your own parts for, and save a bunch of money. But, there are gotchas!

You have to have a 2 or 2 1/2" suspension lift, because the box hangs down 2 to 2 1/2" lower than the stock box. To find out if you already have a suspension lift, measure from the top of the front differential axle tube to the bottom of the frame. Stock is 7". Anything over that is the amount of suspension lift.

The steering box mounts on the inside of the frame, so you will also need a shortened drag link.

I sourced as much as I could from the junkyard. I picked up the steering box, with all the hoses, the power steering pump and all brackets, and a section of Double-D steering shaft from a mid 70s Chebby. Bought the frame bracket, steering shaft u-joints, dropped track bar bracket and shortened drag link from Wild Horses. Had a new pressure hose made locally, re-using the ends off the original PS hose.

I already had double groove pulleys on the engine. When I was done I think I only had around $350 in the conversion.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
The full kits are bolt in with only very mild mechanical skills needed and just basic hand tools. The old school or junkyard conversions require skills that based on the questions you are asking, you just don't have. After you own the Bronco for a while, you just may aquire those skills. Your other option is to find a friend with skills that can help you. I suggest the full kits if you just want it to work and don't want to spend 2 weeks sourcing parts and perhaps end up taking it to someone and paying several hundred dollars to complete the project. Sometimes piece meal can end up costing more.

OP
OP
C

carrottop596

What specific skills would one of the junkyard conversions require? I have a couple of friends who are mechanics and maybe they could help me.

PartnersInCrime

have you checked with knechts auto parts? I think they use atsco part number 35-10... and it costs like 300 and something plus a core...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Nissan Xterra steering box and pitman arm reamed the other way with a Ford taper
Shorten the Bronco draglink
Mercury villager steering shaft with a little notch ground into the splines for the bot retainer/odd spline lineup.
Nissan Titan underdash rag joint
'73 and up Bronco upper steering shaft. (from vender)
Other then the weld on the drag link (which could probably be avoided by mixing some steering parts) no welded needed. 2 of the 4 bolts on the steering box line up.
Usa a '01½ to '04 steering box and it has an american inverted flare inlet instead of banjo fittings.
Pump of your choice.

There are a lot of ways to do power steering. I am probably the only one who has done it this exact way (actually my way is a little different as I changed to a different pitman arm and have heim joint steering).

70_Steve

Old Guy
What specific skills would one of the junkyard conversions require? I have a couple of friends who are mechanics and maybe they could help me.
If you're referring to the F150 2WD conversion, not all that much. The frame needs a couple holes drilled in it to mount the box bracket. Eventually, that bracket should be welded to the frame, but the Bronco is drivable without the welding. I installed mine, and drove it to a shop to be welded.

The stock steering shaft will need to be modified. The input shaft of the steering box is at a different angle and location that the stock box. I made my own lower shaft with the two u-joints and the section of Double-D shaft. I cut everything to fit, including the stock steering shaft, then took it to the welding shop to be welded.

This was not a one-weekend project. At least not for me at that point in my Bronco experience. I took my time, planned out my work, measured 12 times before cutting, etc. Plus I had other things going on at the time. (suspension lift, Dana44 and power brake upgrade, etc)