• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Power steering to easy....

southbaybronco

I installed a new power steering pump on my 77 bronco and everything is fine except it's way too easy to turn the wheel. I can turn it with my pinky finger. I'm looking for some feedback from the wheel while driving. I found a power steering valve that cuts the flow. Is this something someone had done before or is there another way to fix this?

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
What ratio are you running? 6.0:1 or the 3.0:1?

I am running the Stock Ford Bronco Power Box in the 3.0:1 ratio with the GM pump and my steering feels good. Not too easy and not too hard. I am running 35s however. Smaller tires may be easier to turn.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
This is a new one. usually people complain about steering being to hard. I think you should feel blessed that you have a setup that turns easy. You should be able to turn the wheel with only a finger. Really I would give it s a little time to wear in 2 things will happen you'll get used to it and it will probably become a little harder to turn. Going from worn out parts to new parts makes a differance in feel.
The only other possibility is you dont have enough caster and the wheels are not trying to return to center hence little to no feed back.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
He may also have the 6.0:1 box which with the gearing would be very easy to turn. A 3.0:1 box would feel tighter and offer more feedback. Just an idea.

OP
OP
southbaybronco

southbaybronco

How would i check to see what steering box i have? It's nice to steer but it's just too easy. There is no feedback at all. If you move the steering wheel just a little bit the truck turns. The caster is fine, the wheels come back to center. It tracks straight but it is just too touchy. I drive with my thumb and index finger so i don't move it too much.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
How would i check to see what steering box i have? It's nice to steer but it's just too easy. There is no feedback at all. If you move the steering wheel just a little bit the truck turns. The caster is fine, the wheels come back to center. It tracks straight but it is just too touchy. I drive with my thumb and index finger so i don't move it too much.

Turn your wheel all the way to one side. Then turn the other way and count the revolutions until you can't turn any further. 3 revolutions would be 3.0:1 and 6 revolutions would be 6:1.

broncotime

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grapevine, Texas
I'm pretty sure that's how power steering worked in the 70's. No road feedback at all on the cars and trucks I've driven from that era with stock power steering setups. Variable assist came into production since then to give the driver better control. I'm not sure how you fix it since it sounds like it is working fine.

rae61

I installed a stock 6 turn PS set up on my 71 with a GM pump, I have a new drag link, tie rods, steering stabilizer, shocks, tires, all new bushings.
An alignment was done, it tracks true, returns to center when turning but has very little “road feel” . I would like a stiffer feeling steering
setup but not sure what if anything can be done. I’m thinking broncotime is right, thats just the way they were made to feel and work.

I never had the chance to drive a new bronco with PS does anyone on here remember if they were that way when they rolled off the lot?

With that said it’s the best upgrade I have done and would never go back to “Armstrong steering” ….did that for 25 yrs.;D

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I have a new Power Steering system which is the 3 turn lock to lock with the GM PUmp and there is a little feedback, but not alot. With 35" tires, manual steering, no way!