• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

power steering upgrade

BoulderBronco

Loc.
Boulder, CO
First off I have been searching for about an hour and found nothing concrete. I just bought a 72 and would like to put power steering in it. I don't have much $$ since I just bought the thing so I am trying to do it on the cheap side. I know there are kits out there but they are expensive. So what would be my best option. Do I just need to get a pump, bracket, gear box and steering shaft and bolt it all up? Anyone have any good links to writeups or tech articles? I know a ton about the big Broncos but not so much about the EB's. Thanks guys.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Your best bet is to find someone selling a PS box, bracket, pump, lines, etc...pretty much everything you need. Used these go for about $450-500; depending on the PS pump, etc. Shipping can add a bit. Most of the time, the gear boxes are fine....you can send them to West Texas Off-Road and have them rebuilt for ~$170 (~$110 or so for the rebuild and $25-30 shipping each way). Factor in a collapsable steering shaft, new ($225) or used (~$40 + new ujoints and rag joint another 30-40) and possibly a rebuilt PS pump ($50-150) and you are close to the price of the expensive kits. People can and do find deals...but steering setups are more rare...so they have a fairly stable market value. Be patient on the gear box or snatch up a complete set-up...otherwise fork out the cash. My advice is whatever you end up with upgrade the pump, get new hoses and go ahead and put a strengthening plate on the frame if you plan to wheel the truck. B/C of all the variances between different vehicles, engine swaps, belt arrangements under the hood, etc...its hard to say whats "best" or universal...but there is alot of info, if you read through the posts and look around. Good luck.

John

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
If you can find a mid 70's F100 in a junk yard, you can probably get the steering setup out of there for about. $250. Then either buy a bracket for mounting the box from Wildhorses for $75 or fab one up yourself. IMO this is the least expensive way to get a basic power steering setup. I recently sold one of these complete setups for $300.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Check out the f-150 78-79 bronco 4x4 box swap(4x4x2). BC has the instructions for that box in their tech section. Then find a pump and lines at the junkyard. Since you're starting from scratch get a GM saginaw pump. Fab up or buy a pump bracket and belts. You may need to have the lines made or a couple vendors sell them for the saginaw pump. That pump is better than the ford pumps.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
thegreatjustino said:
If you can find a mid 70's F100 in a junk yard, you can probably get the steering setup out of there for about. $250. Then either buy a bracket for mounting the box from Wildhorses for $75 or fab one up yourself. IMO this is the least expensive way to get a basic power steering setup. I recently sold one of these complete setups for $300.
While the 70's F100-250 box can be cheaper if you dont already have at least a 3 in lift it will endup costing more.
As SteveL said the 78/79 box is a good cheap option but can be hard to find.

Stock setups are also hard to find and a lot of people jump on them fast so they may be hard to get. But if your not in a hurry you can usually find one.

When you really break it down the kits offered can be about the same price or less than these other choices some of the kits even use the boxes listed and usually the only parts you will need to find to complete the kits is the balancer and water pump pulley's. Keep in mind the kits offered are new or rebuilt boxes and pumps. Where the used setups you get are used and can be in any condition but probably need to be rebuilt so you still may need to get them rebuilt so the cost goes up.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Power Steering is NICE!!! Here is my mod, used a lot of new stuff and still under 500 with a very good setup. If you can find used brackets and not so fancy hoses and do the power steering gear swap at the pick n pull you can save yourself at least 125.

78 Bronco Box $50
85 F150 2wd guts $50
79 Lincoln Dual Return Saginaw Pump (hydro later) #NSP208606 $60
Napa Pulley #NPS73077 $17
Napa Belt #7435 XL-25 $10
BC Frame plate and hardware $30
Tom's Saginaw Bracket $39
Tom's lower adjuster bracket $29
Double crank pulley of Bfix $20
Aeroquip hoses with JIC disconnects from Oil Filter Services in PDX $50
Flaming River joint 3/4 smooth by 3/4 36 spline from Wild Horses $69
Being able to get your rig out of the driveway without making a 4 point turn $ Priceless

Took my first drive around the block...I'm in heaven...now only if I had lower gears Thats okay next step is the full widths with new guts.
So total spent was $424. Sucks that the brackets cost more than the box but I wanted it a fairly straight forward install.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
as usual broncoaz is right on i can get you a scout II box with new internals for about 250.00 4 turn (i can send you the info you need to order) i have two pumps, cooler, hoses and stock brackets i will let you have cheap you can build a frame support kit out of mild steel (1/4 inch and some heavy wall pipe or if you have a good drill press you could drill out some round stock ) i have as much in a stock unit as i would have buying a kit i had a scout box and sold it because i did not want to drill the frame but with the truss and the stiffners it will be fine the scout II box is identical to the bronco box except for the mounting holes they are opposite the bronco the other option you have is the wildhorses bracket for 70.00 dollars you can a rebuilt saggy with dual returns with hoses for
about a 100.00 from the source i mentioned above and then like broncoaz said you can be patient and find a stock box but in my case i have been looking for over a year and have not found one that was reasonable the guy that sells the scout box will send you a mild steel coupler that allows you to cut your steering shaft and weld the coupler in and that would be okay for short term but for long term you need a u joint some people like to weld the steering shaft i am not one of those i like the ujoint with the other option is the guy mentioned above will sell you a whole kit with a newer bracket (big bronco i think) and pump for about 450.00 do you have the double pulley needed for the crank my truck came with the double pulley even though it did not have p/s

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There is also the bolt-on vs. fabrication factor. If you want/need bolt on, used factory box or a kit is about the only way to go. The better your fabrication ability, the options open up. With minimal fabrication I fitted a Nissan Xterra steering box into my Bronco. Nie fit, 2 bolt holes lined up after reaming them out to the correct size. Only required a little welding to mate the steering shaft and shorten the draglink. If I had done the bulletproof steering at the same time the only welding would have been to the steering shaft.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
good point bowsher depends on your fab skills the nissan box and some others are all made by delphi i think

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Mine is the scoutII box ...50.00 then rebuilding it to 3.25 turn (too fast) ABOUT 175.00.. go 4 turns..pump free hose 20.00 bracket 49.00..ujoint 69.00..79 f150 auto steering column converted over to std np435..65.00 ...drill bits for the frame and bolts 50.00...job done (PRICELESS)...

OP
OP
B

BoulderBronco

Loc.
Boulder, CO
Well my fab skills are good. I have a welder and all the tools (no plasma cutter) I think I would need. Thanks for the good ideas. Sound like I will be spending at least $400 no matter what I do. I am just going to take my time and gather the parts as I find them. I think I am going to try to find all used parts from a Bronco to make the process easier. I have my eye on a pump and bracket for under $50. I think I should be able to find a box for under $200. Then all I would need is the steering shaft and some hoses. Right? Anything else? Also I have seen a number of Sag pumps on Ebay for around $100 new.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
you can get my stock pump, bracket, hoses and cooler for 25.00 plus shipping and i will through in the other pump and bracket i have