• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

PPG DCC9000 or DCC9300 single stage paint?

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
Anybody use PPG single stage DCC9000 or DCC9300? Im not sure the difference unless its just a different shade of black. Im gona throw down some DP90LF (black epoxy), mixed as a sealer on my bare metal front clip and want to topcoat it with a ss urethane (either the DCC9000, or DCC9300).

What the difference? Color?

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Yes color is the difference. The 9000 is all black. as dark black as black comes. it is used a lot on frames too. The 9300 has a little blue in it and is not as dark as the super dark 9000. Same paint different color.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
As Bax said there are different blacks on the OEM's. Paint manufacturers have all these on the mix banks.... straight black, blue black, and yellow black. Blue black is the most popular used. UA is a blue black used on all Fords since the 80's.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
As Bax said there are different blacks on the OEM's. Paint manufacturers have all these on the mix banks.... straight black, blue black, and yellow black. Blue black is the most popular used. UA is a blue black used on all Fords since the 80's.

what is UA, a paint code? i am going to paint my frame with single stage, as soon as i get it back from e-coat. are those finishes gloss or semi gloss.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
what is UA, a paint code? i am going to paint my frame with single stage, as soon as i get it back from e-coat. are those finishes gloss or semi gloss.

Yes UA is a paint code on Fords used since I think the 80's. I would use which ever black is cheaper and which ever is more popular which is blue black. Using the more popular one will ensure the paint store has rotated their stock more often.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
my local paint store wanted 250.00 dollars for a gallon of ss semi gloss black with hardner. no thanks. will look on tcpglobal or go to jackson and get it. how much paint will it take to spray a frame. surely not a gallon.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
You can paint a whole truck with a gallon / less. I think the mix is 2 to 1 so thats a gallon and a half. check the mix and add that to the equation, Half a gallon mixed will do a couple coats on a frame.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
my local paint store wanted 250.00 dollars for a gallon of ss semi gloss black with hardner. no thanks. will look on tcpglobal or go to jackson and get it. how much paint will it take to spray a frame. surely not a gallon.

A sprayable quart is all you need for 2 coats on a frame. Axles, radius arms, ect. add another quart.

OP
OP
B

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN

Thats a good price. Around here they get 300 bucks a gallon for PPG's DCC. and thats not including hardner or reducer! You would also have to buy primer to go under the single stage!

You could go with epoxy (PPG's DP90LF) for around 60 bucks a quart plus catalyst, and not top coat it.

I did my frame with POR-15 for around 50 bucks including topcoat, but im not sure the por will stick to the e-coat.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
No need for the por 15 if the frame is already protected with the dp90. just spray a black urethane gloss over it and your good.

allenfahey

Bronco Guru

Fordguy,
What do you mean by e-coat?? Are you having your frame e-coated like a new OEM sheetmetal part? If so all you need to do is sand it with 320, red scuff pad, sealer or epoxy mixed as a sealer, let it flash off, then paint it with whatever paint you want to use. That's how it done on new OEM or aftermarket sheetmetal that is e-coated.

Yes the PPG paint we are talking about is full gloss like you see on the outside of a car but if you want a semi or even flat paint you can by adding flattening agent. More flattening agent the flatter it gets but it also is harder to cover but not an issue with black. Black is the best covering color there is.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Fordguy,
What do you mean by e-coat?? Are you having your frame e-coated like a new OEM sheetmetal part? If so all you need to do is sand it with 320, red scuff pad, sealer or epoxy mixed as a sealer, let it flash off, then paint it with whatever paint you want to use. That's how it done on new OEM or aftermarket sheetmetal that is e-coated.

Yes the PPG paint we are talking about is full gloss like you see on the outside of a car but if you want a semi or even flat paint you can by adding flattening agent. More flattening agent the flatter it gets but it also is harder to cover but not an issue with black. Black is the best covering color there is.

yes that is what i mean by ecoat. hot rod flatz has a quart of a semi gloss black pretty reasonable, may just go with it it is pre mixed .