• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

preparing a C4

NJB71

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Little Silver, NJ
Well I bought rebuilt C4 from a member that came with a J shift T-case attached. I am going to have a mechanic install the c-4 on my 71, which has a modified twin shift t-case. I want to remove the tcase from the adapter, anything I should know before I take it off? PS I know nothing about trannys.....TY in advance

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Keep the input gear with the tcase it came with. When you separate the C4 adapter housing from the tcase you'll see the bearing retainer stuck into the input of the D20. You can pull it out to get to the input gear. Theres a big o-ring that holds the retainer in and 13 roller bearings that will probably fall out when you remove it. Grease the inside of the output shaft and put them back in before you put the retainer back.