• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Preparing for another Crab Cage Mass Buy

Cage Options

• Family Cage from .120 HREW

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • Family Cage from .095 DOM

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • Prerunner Cage from .120 HREW

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Prerunner Cage from .095 DOM

Votes: 10 11.9%

• Total voters

GoFastCrackPipe

Loc.
Salem area
I might be interested in the pre-runner with seat mounts, "B" hoop crosses (like an "X") with a harness bar, 3 overhead bars like the prototype family cage from saddleup's link, and built with .120 DOM. Any ideas on price?

M

Miley

HREW & DOM

I just have to sound in here...

There is no debate which is stonger, DOM or HREW. However, for my application HREW is perfectly adequate. If memory serves, HREW has a yield of around 45,000 psi whereas DOM has a yield of 70,000 psi. 45,000 psi is nothing to turn your nose up to. SCORE specs are typically for vehicles that are travelling in the 100+ mph range. The last two times I rolled (with HREW cages) I was going less than 10 mph. Both cages held up fine, but because of the nature of what they are designed to do, I scrapped 'em and built new ones just to be cautious.

If DOM were anywhere close to the same price as HREW, this would be a non-issue. But, here in Colorado, HREW is $2/ft and DOM is $6-7/ft for 1.75 x .120 wall. Sorry, but that makes one hell of a difference in price when you're buying typically four 20' sticks per cage. We're talking the difference between $160 and $560.

I'm damned proud of my HREW cage... and the Hanson front bumper I applied the $400 I saved by going with HREW.

DOM is stronger, but at 45,000 psi yield combined with my own rolling experiences (I really need to back off that skinny pedal), I have found HREW to be plenty strong enough.

FWIW

Miley

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Well I wouldn't mind a DOM cage but personally I feel .120 DOM is a bit over kill .095 is plenty strong and I believe stronger than .120 HREW but I may be wrong on this correct me if I am. My reasoning for wanting a DOM .095 family cage would be for the additional weight savings as well as the strength, less weight up top makes for a more stable rig. If it was between .120 DOM and .120 HREW I think I would go for the HREW to save some coin cause I'm not worried about the strength or .120 HREW but Crab has spec'd the choice between .095 DOM and .120 HREW. Lets hear some thoughts and opinions.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Schedule 40 1-1/2" pipe weighs 2.72# per foot (.145 wall thickness)
DOM .095 1-1/2" is 1.43# per foot
DOM .120 1-1/2" is 1.78# per foot

DOM .095 1-3/4" is 1.68# per foot
DOM .120 1-3/4" is 2.09# per foot

Going with a thicker wall tubing isn't so much a strength issue, it is a crushing issue. A lot of trails run a high likelihood of bashing the cage off of rocks and other obstacles, as well as a rollover. A crushed tube is a very weakened tube. So, you sacrifice some weight savings, and do spend more on a zootier tube, to get a more durable cage. I understand that most folks installing a cage have no intentions of ever testing out it's durability, and I can dig that. It's just in the last few years that I've gotten into harder and harder trails myself. At some point, you forget about the fabric tops, and start seriously considering a rock top. This will be a steel or aluminum roof on your cage, for the primary concern of keeping foreign objects out of the passenger compartment in the event of a rollover.

Give me some time, I'll find the tables that compare strengths of DOM vs HREW vs CREW vs CrMo. The site I used to get that info from is down, or gone now.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
check out the picture gallery of 4x4x289 I would want a family cage set up like his. Seat mounts front and rear, flip up pas seat. Passage way to the back seats, grab bars, cup holders and sill has room for a tool box. Very nice

Bax

I like crome molly tubing, very light very strong.
Very expensive!

benmudn

Loc.
NW AR
Crab any updates? I sure would not mind seeing some prices on the different materials and maybe some final pictures.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
I think all of you can see the poll results so far. My personal opinion is that our design with the .120 HREW is plenty stout for the weekend warrior. We never offered DOM in the past because of our availability but now have a decent supplier. I will run the poll for another week now that things have calmed down after the Holiday and elk hunting. We will be making a tubing order this week and that will determine how to price the cages, so I will post those ASAP. I will post all of the mass buy info in this thread prior to starting the mass buy.
Thanks..........Crab

Brewbro21

Crab I'd be in on the mass buy but it would have to be well after the Holidays.
Can you give a guess on when this would take place?

Kansas Corey

Loc.
NorCal (East Bay)
I agree completely with Bax. Have seen pics of this cage before and really liked the way it looks. Combine that with mounting for front and rear seats, flip up passanger seat for access, etc. Just my 2 cents worth. Corey

check out the picture gallery of 4x4x289 I would want a family cage set up like his. Seat mounts front and rear, flip up pas seat. Passage way to the back seats, grab bars, cup holders and sill has room for a tool box. Very nice. Bax

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
i would like a family cage with access to the back seat for my 8 and 5 year old. some time after the holidays.

jdevon

Loc.
Dallas Area
Count me in for a family cage with front seat mounts, seat belt mounts, and gussets. You've got some great looking, very functional cages. Thanks for putting the mass buy together.

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
Bump TTT
Need a cage... Need a cage ;D Just sold mine and I've got to say driving with out one feels like I'm driving naked.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
I submitted the mass buy info last night. Should pop up soon......

TJK74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newark CA
crab said:
I submitted the mass buy info last night. Should pop up soon......

Sweet Thanks crab for putting this together. any thoughts on the PM's I sent.

OP
OP
crab

crab

Bronco Guru
shwagy357 said:
I might be interested in a 6 point cage w/ frame tie ins, What is the cost and shipping to 27012
shipping will be $200 for a fully tig welded cage to the nearest terminal
2904 Torrence Drive
Greensboro, Nc 27406
. No tie in kits yet.