• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Preparing rear end and front end for paint

joesbest71

I've been on the "outside looking in" for several years now, and finally decided to register. I need advise concerning preparing both a front end(Dana 30) and a rear end(ford 9") for paint. I have them out of the vehicle and I think the only thing wrong with them is the pinion/flange seal, on both. I don't want to tear them down any further than necessary to sandblast them and cover them with POR 15. What steps should I follow to get them ready to sandblast? On the front if I remove the King pins to rebuild them is that the only thing that holds the knuckles on? If I take the knuckles off do the axels come out ? If I take the axels out do I need to replace the bearings? Is it usually advisable to rebuild the king pins? Will that help the steering? Thank in advance for any advise.

daydreamer

Loc.
Fayetteville, AR
Paint

I'm no expert but I just repainted both my axles. I had to replace my seals also. As much work has gone into removal of both axles I decided to tear everything down so I won't have to come back later. I stuffed rags in the axle housing ends before sandblasting. If your rig is like mine or all on here it is probably a good idea to know what you've got. I found that there was some rust on my inner axles and took care of that problem. I bought new ball joints for $45. I also bought axle overhaul kits and feel better knowing whats in there now as opposed to 30yo original parts. I spent a little more than planned, but saftey and piece of mind for my family are priceless. I also replaced all bushings up front as well.

Don't know if I helped but I thought I would share with you since I am a newbie also.

Thanks, Chris

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
You can rebuild the king pins one at a time and not have to take them off. It would be better if you started at the outside and work in to the king pins. Then you would know what shape the wheel bearings and the needle bearings in the spindle were in. I have had to replace the needle bearings to wheel bearings 5 to 1. But mine has always been in mud and water.