• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Private messages

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
I'm trying to clear out a bunch of old pm's but can't figure out how. I'm.not finding a delete button anywhere.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmm, good question. I’ve run into a few nuances since the software change myself. Haven’t got it all figured out yet.

You might get an answer here, but I would also double up and add your question to the “new forum software update“ thread that Jon has somewhere.

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
The new "conversations" are a little different than the old "PMs". The old PMs were saved as individual messages, so if you wrote back and forth with someone 5 times, you'd have 10 individual messages. (the 5 you received and the 5 you sent)

But with the new "conversations" the whole back and forth is kept together, like, well... a conversation. Similar to texting on your phone. You see the whole history of the conversation all in one spot.

So you can no longer "delete" individual messages like with the old forum. Now that the "conversation" is all kept together you can't delete it because you'd also be deleting the other person's messages on their side.

But what you can do is "leave" the conversation. That will remove it from your inbox. But be aware it doesn't remove it from the other person's inbox, just like with the old forum, deleting your messages didn't delete the other person's copy.

However, there's really no limit to the number of conversations anymore, so you don't need to delete old ones. If you're just being OCD and like a cleaned out inbox, then go ahead. ;)But it's not necessary to free up space.

See screen shots below to "leave" conversations.

1644700118129.png

You can then select multiple conversations using the checkboxes on the right and leave them all.

1644700151641.png

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Click the envelope icon near the top right. See the 1st image in my post right before yours.

That same envelope will have a red number on it when you have a new message.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
is there a quick-link back to the forums when you're in your messages Jon? I've looked quickly, but not deeply yet. What I've been doing to save time though is to go back up to the top and click on the "bell" icon and just click back on to one of my previous notifications in whatever forum is near the top.
But if there is another way somewhere else on the messages page, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes I also do go up and us the drop-down menu on the forum button. But it's also up at the top and if I don't hit the down-arrow just right, I just get the main forum page.
It's actually good enough, but I'm being nit-picky with the new stuff

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
is there a quick-link back to the forums when you're in your messages Jon? I've looked quickly, but not deeply yet. What I've been doing to save time though is to go back up to the top and click on the "bell" icon and just click back on to one of my previous notifications in whatever forum is near the top.
But if there is another way somewhere else on the messages page, I'll give that a try.

Thanks

yeah good question

admin

Administrator
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I just use the back button on my browser. Seems like the quickest way.

Other than that you need to use the drop-down forum menu or bell as you said.