• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Problems separating trans from motor

rock7174

Pulled entire drive train from my 67' and I'm have problems separating the trans from the motor. I have the engine lifted of the ground with a hoist and have unbolted all the bellhousing bolts. The bellhousing is separated from the engine block by 1-1 1/2 inches after some prying. Any suggestions? I've gotten on the tail of the trans and shook the sh!t out of it and used a pry bar. This thing is giving me grey hair. F-bombs and tools have been flying. I can't believe how something so simple is getting the best of me! Help!

OP
OP
R

rock7174

Should've mentioned it is a 3 speed manual so no torque converter bolts. I've pulled, pryed, etc. etc......I'm getting nowhere fast.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
What abouthe bolts holding the engine plate that goes behind he flywheel and bolts to the bottom of the bel housing. Ask me how I know about this one! Lol

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
He said he has about 1- 11/2" of seperation already so there all bolts are out. Most likely its a issue of worn input shaft splines catching on the clutch disc splines. Keep prying is about all you can do it will come apart. About the only other thing you can try is to unbolt the trans from the bell housing and see if you can get it to move any more.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
What abouthe bolts holding the engine plate that goes behind he flywheel and bolts to the bottom of the bel housing. Ask me how I know about this one! Lol

I'm going to say the same thing. There are three small bolts at the bottom of the bellhousing that connect through the engine plate. With those attached, there is enough flex to move the bellhousing an inch or two away from the engine.

OP
OP
R

rock7174

The dana 20 is not hooked to the trans, Used a BFH already, all the bolts are out, tried unbolting the bellhousing from trans already. I've pried the heck out it......nothing. I think I'll grab a buddy and try to pry from two sides evenly. Kinda thinking prying on one side is binding it so its not coming off evenly....only thing I can think of!

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might be hard to do but if you can push the clutch lever it might alllow the cltuch disc to move enough for things to line up better most likely you have it in a bind. Since the trans is more or less hanging on the input shaft. Might also just need to get the engine and transmission on the same plane so things dont bind up

707Bronk

Might be hard to do but if you can push the clutch lever it might alllow the cltuch disc to move enough for things to line up better most likely you have it in a bind. Since the trans is more or less hanging on the input shaft. Might also just need to get the engine and transmission on the same plane so things dont bind up

X2 - Sounds like the input shaft could be bound up in the clutch pack.

sarens

I had same issue on my 1971, took 3 guys prying evenly with bars and with plugs pulled we rotated the crank finally lined up and slid apart looking at it apart we really couldn't tell what made it stick