• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

project crazy horse test drive is on

OP
OP
bobtailbronco

bobtailbronco

Loc.
long island
it will be on 2morrow also so far the only problem he had was no oil pres. while going down the steep hill due to the oil pan. it will be on an hour earlier 2morrow 12:30 pm eastern time.hope you get it then grizzly.

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
I'm watching to see if that tranny grenades;D

Anyone remember which pan he's running? Is his problem the pan design or is this something any pan could suffer from?

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Caught the last 15 minutes...I sure took long enough to get that payoff. I would love to see a straight DVD of it but I dont see that happening. Hell, I would love it if someone just converted the tapes to digital format so we could share them.

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
The Crazy Horse Project page doesn't seem to be up yet. I'm curious about the oil pan issue too. What engine are they running?

BTW, the "Producers Page" says that RTM has a total of 35 employees doing 10 seperate shows. Sounds like they are hella overloaded, which explains a lot.

JP

Skidmark

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
I'm not sure about the specifics, but It seems to me the engine is a 302. I think the pan is a morosso. (one of the gold ones)
I was a little surpised about the oil pressure problem as well. I put an LTD pan on my 351W (same thing as the conversion). I'm hoping crap like that doesn't happen. But oh well if it does. I can work something out.

For the time they are given I think they did a pretty good job showing off the bronco's abilities. Crazy horse seems like a very well rounded rig. They definately put the bronco through a heck of a lot more than the J**p project. Maybe it's just me, and this has probably already been debated, but that paint job makes me cringe. But I still think that was my favorite episode of trucks yet.
jake

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
Best part about the show was when they got it all muddy and the mud covered up that ugly horse graphic.

Seemed like an honest test. Even tore the spare tire rack out of the back!

Engine is a 302 stroked to a 349. Moroso oil pan.

Why is everyone waiting for the trans to grenade? A NV3550 should hold up OK.

GRIZZLY

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Lakewood, CA
bobtailbronco said:
it will be on 2morrow also so far the only problem he had was no oil pres. while going down the steep hill due to the oil pan. it will be on an hour earlier 2morrow 12:30 pm eastern time.hope you get it then grizzly.
Thanks...I'll make sure to tape it then. I'll have to set my "timer" (wife in front of tv)....:)

giordano

Loc.
Victoria, BC
mlogan24 said:
I'm watching to see if that tranny grenades;D

Anyone remember which pan he's running? Is his problem the pan design or is this something any pan could suffer from?

Why do you think the tranny's gonna grenade?

jpoore

Loc.
San Jose, CA
Cool, thnx for the link.

I like the stance of CH and he used the same size lifts and tires I plan on running.

The L/S torque transfer (or lack thereof) up front made me nervous. I've got a Auburn waiting to test out- luckily he was using the True Trac.

BTW, It thought it kinda funny he was wishing for a lower crawl ratio in the rocks. He already has a NV3550 and 3.8 Atlas. Could a crawler box be in the works? (not many rocks in that area though)

mlogan24

Bronco Guru
Honestly, I am sure that the tranny will hold up fine, I just like giving the show cr@p for not going for the NV4500.

Although, if you do look at the specs-the 3500 is not the best choice for a stroker-

http://dodgeram.org/tech/transmission/nv3500_spec.htm

Manufactured by New Venture Gear
Order code: DDC
Input torque rating: 300 ft-lb (or 340 for the 3500HD)
Max GVWR: 7,200 lb
Max GCVWR: 11,000 lb

And most 347's usually run in the 400+ ft-lb range for torque.

-but hey!, who can argue with a free tranny which I'm sure it was;D

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
i just saw the show and REALLY liked all the tests! maybe it's just my withdrawal syndrome as mine is not runnign at the moment.... what size tires and wheels did he use?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yeah Bronken, I opened this thread up just to see if anyone else heard that or I was smokin' something. Frankly, it sounded like crap! Nice exhaust tone, when running good, but like you said, when revved up, it missed and sounded almost like he was coming up against a rev-limiter or something.
And did you notice the exhaust output when he would get on it? I couldn't tell if it was smoke, or raw fuel pouring out of the pipes! Probably just some black smoke, but phew, looked as bad as it sounded.
Hopefully he'll say something about it in a later episode. AFTER we all e-mail him asking whassup?
I haven't seen the whole thing yet though. Had to leave before the end, but I've got it (and all the rest) on tape.
Did anyone ever see an episode where he actually finished the frame? One day he's cutting and welding things on it, the next time I saw it it was all painted and purty sittin' on his shop floor. I was kind of hoping for some details.

Paul