• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Propane anyone??

mountain14er

Loc.
Denver
Hey Scott,

I was reading this thinking "this sounds like a Boulderite" not seeing that it was you who wrote it. Lo and behold.

swa0330 said:
Not to rob this post, but isn't propane sort of subject to go way up also. Someone (I could be wrong) told me that propane had increased 300% in cost in the last 10 years. That could be wrong, but I know that it is about $2.15 a gallon or so.

http://www.azurebiodiesel.com/index.shtml

That setup brings me reassurance that one day I won't be affected by the oil tycoons need for bigger private islands. In america I can tell you there will never be a shortage of used frier oil as long as McDonald's and wing joints still exist.

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
Jangle

What motor and propane set up are you running?
I am reserching my options for LPG on a351 w in my 75
It looks like propaneguy has the cheepest kits.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
They're still quite a bit more expensive than they should be. Go talk to your local forklift repair man.

The more I think about it, the more I think I like the idea of propane. A couple of 10 gallon tanks should do me fine for a weekend's worth of wheelin.

[Hank Hill]A day without propane, is like a day without sunshine[/Hank Hill]

OP
OP
broncoman1972

broncoman1972

Bronco Guru
GASGRILL, are you planning to go to knoxville later this month? I will be there saturday and would like to chk out your rig up close...

66Gasgrill

Loc.
Canton, NC
broncoman1972 said:
GASGRILL, are you planning to go to knoxville later this month? I will be there saturday and would like to chk out your rig up close...
yeah if everything stays as is I will be there for the show on Sat. Come over and check it out.

Jangel

I'm running a 300A Impco mixer and Impco Model E Vaporizer on a 302. Might try and start it up this weekend.;D

ochretoe

Loc.
Millington
Is the propane set up just for trail rigs or is it good for daily drivers also? I got 17 mph on my last trip but I would like to look at other options too.
Steve

bjack

I have ran pane on my trail only Bronco for many years now. I also run it on my buggy, and my 4 runner. For simplicity and reliablity it can't be beat. I pieced together a couple of my kits and bought the other one complete. In all honesty piecing one together will cost you almost as much as a kit,if you buy all new parts. I drive my runner occasionally on the road but not enough to get an idea on mileage, but I do know it will go a long way on $18 tank fill up.

UNCLEBEN

Loc.
Boise, Id
I am no expert on this, but from what I have read on other forums it is street legal in the US if you use ASME aprooved tanks and have the system inspected or instaled by a liscensed shop.

The "forklift tanks most people are using are DOT aprooved, but not ASME.

It seems like there a lot of people running these on the street and its probabaly only a problem if youre state requires vehicle inspections.

Just my 2c

there is a lot of info on this at http://fuelsforum.rasoenterprises.com

El Jefe

Bronco Guru
dual setups were the norm where i grew up. They are still an option and pay for themselves in about 2.5 yrs.

Here's what i remember on the questions asked:

Fuel economy IS lower with propane (seem to remember 80% of gasoline). This is simple physics; there is less energy per unit of mass in propane vs. Gasoline.

There were perceived engine durability issues if you only run on propane. The kits manufacturers recommended to run 1 tankfull of gas per every 2 tankfulls of propane. The cylinder walls honing inside your engine WILL wear faster with propane. I also dont remember which of the two burns hotter (gasoline or propane)

There are OEM dedicated propane applications for trucks and as posted before; i agree they are a complex system with non standard controllers (i.e. additional complexity above and beyond EFI setups)

I'll try to fish out the Dual LPG kit's manufacturer's info and post it here once i find it. I am also seriously considering it for my '74