• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Propane conversion

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
broncow72 said:
Mike, What are the other benefits to runnign propane? Like miles per....$?

Sorry I can't answer that as this Bronco is strictly a trail rig. I can say that the truck hasn't died once since putting on the propane, but I have a little trouble starting it. I think the problem is a combination of a big cam not having enough vacuum to open the vff 30 and a weak battery not spinning the starter fast enough to produce the vacuum required. This only occurs the first time that I go to start it, once I get it to fire the first time it is good for the rest of the day. I need to rebuild the engine, put the proper cam in it and replace the battery.

Mikeg23

Loc.
Greenwood, IN
Mikeg23 said:
I got my regulator and lock off from ebay, my carburator and vapour hose from propane guy, and the tank along with various fittings from a local forklift place. I think I put mine together for around $600, that is with one steel tank.

I found my reciepts so I thought I would share. I ended up spending a little more than I thought I would because I didn't know how much the 13' hose would be. (It turned out to be almost $100)

From E-bay
-----VFF30
-----Impco Model E
-------$52.99

Frome Propane Guy
-----Impco 425
-----3 ft vapor hose
-------$142.00

From Allied Equipment Svc Corp
-----Steel tank
-----Tank Brackets
-----3' Hose
-----Pop off valve
-----13' Hose
-----3 fittings
-----Bulkhead-I don't what to call this piece. The 3' hose goes into it and the 13' hose comes out of it. This is what I used to pass the hose through the floor, plus it has a place for the pop off valve to screw in.

-------$399.32

I also bought a couple fittings from TSC and a couple bolts from ACE hardware. I said I should have just got it all from Propane Guy because the stuff that I got from E-bay ended up having a couple problems. Nothing big, the vff 30 was leaking propane and the Model E was leaking coolant. It was obvious someone had taken them apart for what ever reason and didn't replace the gaskets. A little bit of right stuff took care of it, but I need to get some rebuild kits for them.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Ive had a lot of experience with CNG on my company pickup and the regulators are broke more then they are running, at least 50% of the time. A little less power, about the same MPG & cost comparing a gallon to a cubic foot of gas and the oil never gets dirty. We had our own fillup pump but there are no other places in town but its not a huge town. If they could ever get the thing to work consistently it would be fine, but they dont seem to be able too. Tank takes up 1/3 of the bed too. Personally I think its a waste of time, it would take you forever to break even on it plus you have to find a place to fill it. Propane I know nothing about. I wouldnt want either tank in the cab with me. The whole CNG deal was more a "we are good for the city & the enviroment" deal to me for the power company

oh2bnok

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Olathe, KS
My uncle ran propane many years ago in his farm pickups. The fuel milage wasn't as good, hard to start, the power dropped off, always had that smell. It took10 -15 minutes to fill up the large external fuel tank and while that was going on the huge green blow flies came swarming around. Thousands of them, big, green. And no matter how careful you would be some would always get in the cab. Buzzing around big huge green blow flies.

bjack

I run pane on my Bronco and my 4 runner. Both are trail only rigs but I just mounted forklift tanks directly to the rear floor board of the Toyota and the Bronco has a custom made mount the mounts them horizontally on top of one another. Mainly because there is no floorboard in the back and alot of cage and suspension links to deal with. I will post pics if I can think of it when I get home.