• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Propane on top of 5.0 EFI

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I'm interested in running propane on top of my 5.0 EFI setup. It's pretty much a stock 93 EFI and I don't want to give up the ability to run on gas or have a 23 gallon tank. Nor do I want to go back to a carburetor as I spent enough time flooded out on trails already!

Nonetheless I'm attracted to the efficiency, engine wear, and possible price advantage is a propane in the future. I used to run an Impco propane conversion on top of a Rochester carburetor in an old Chevy truck and it was always completely reliable and a great option. back in 2001 when gas was $4 a gallon, I was still able to buy propane for around 99 cents from a wholesale distributor I had an account with. I no longer have those connections but I'm still interested in my options.

Does anybody know of a propane conversion kit that can be made to work in tandem with EFI?

THX,
JB

Sent from my SM-N981U1 using Tapatalk

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Yes. Back around 2000 there were a ton of propane conversion done on EFI engines. AZ had a flawed alternative fuel program that lots of people took advantage of. Unlike the old mechanical propane carburetor this was done electronicly. Ran in closed loop just like gasoline. friend got one. The engine would stall if switching fuel at idle, but only stumble if done while driving. The really basic design, the fuel pump turns off and the propane starts flowing.

Are there modern kits for this? I am sure they are around somewhere. Where? I don't know. It was pretty simple, just a propane injection between the MAF and the throttle body. Probably a ¾" line.

OP
OP
Johnnyb

Johnnyb

Contributor
Loc.
Flagstaff
I remember

Yes, I am In AZ. I remember the AZ program. What a deal for the few that got in!

THZ for the input!
-JB

Yes. Back around 2000 there were a ton of propane conversion done on EFI engines. AZ had a flawed alternative fuel program that lots of people took advantage of. Unlike the old mechanical propane carburetor this was done electronicly. Ran in closed loop just like gasoline. friend got one. The engine would stall if switching fuel at idle, but only stumble if done while driving. The really basic design, the fuel pump turns off and the propane starts flowing.

Are there modern kits for this? I am sure they are around somewhere. Where? I don't know. It was pretty simple, just a propane injection between the MAF and the throttle body. Probably a ¾" line.