• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Propane?

adambronco74

Loc.
Northern Colorado
Anybody here running Propane in your EB? I'm thinking of a system like technocarb or something like that (http://www.technocarb.com). If so, what is the power difference between Propane in Gasoline? I was reading on Pirate4x4 and it was saying propane has a 103 octane rating, which seems like it would produce pretty good power. Anyway, any opinions/experience more than welcome.

Thanks,
adam

astro-mike

In order to take advantage of propanes higher octane rating you will need to raise the compression ratio of your motor. It will work on a stock compression motor. But it will produce more power with higher compression.

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
Last edited:

Dennis

Loc.
Northern California
I remember reading somewhere that you should expect about a 15% drop in hp by switching to lpg. Something about lower btu's or something like that.

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Moaiz said:
With the increase in gas prices I have been seriously debating a dual setup.

Years back I went to school with a guy who had a giant propane tank at his house that he filled his dual propane/gas truck up off of it. By doing so he bypassed getting taxed with all the road taxes paying for the fuel at a residental rate.

He said it saved him thousands per year.

Well that's really great. Your friend was not paying the road taxes yet still using the road.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
The advantage of propane or CNG besides the cost is the oil never gets dirty. The CNG gives less power, dont know about the propane. The problem with both is the regulators that control the pressure are constantly screwing up. We ran CNG {natural gas} on all the company pickups and had our own pumps. They were broke more time then they ran. Fuel milage and lbs of pressure were about the same. Several friends have tried propane with the same problems with the regulators

flousberg

My dad has ran propane for the last 20 years in his 72 f100 with absolutely no problems. The biggest issue he has had has been when he has to switch to gas, everything in the carb is dried out and it runs like crap. There is an article in one of the four wheel drive magazines. With my dad's setup, he lost some power, but in the magazine, they said you will gain some power with the new setups. The positives are it burns extremely clean, you should be able to run at any angle, because you do not have any liquid to deal with. The negatives, supply and where to mount a decent size tank.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
If anyone would like to try a propane setup, I have one that is in my garage. If you come and pick it up, it can be had for $50.00. It comes with tanks, evaporator and the part that replaces the carb. I think it is the regulator. Just let me know if you are interested.

Anthony

Mr Joe

Bronco Guru
I used to do tune-ups on some pickups with the propane systems. The plugs came out looking like new after 40,000... I was impressed.

Someone do it and I'll follow;D

Moaiz

Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
ChiefDan said:
Well that's really great. Your friend was not paying the road taxes yet still using the road.

I imagine he was deeply tortured over saving .75 per gallon. I am sure he had problems sleeping as he filled his giant home tank in the 'off' season at .55 per gallon, (this was a few years back, gas was about $1.30 per.) I bet it nagged at his conscience during his 60 mile minimum daily commute in his truck. I cant imagine the depths of self-loathing that someone who wasnt living up to their socratic obligatiion to society must feel. I bet he fudged on his taxes too....BASTARD!!!
;D

On propane...for me Its a tossup, I want the benefits of a dual system but I would love to do a rebuild with 14:1 compression that was exclusively propane. Hard to beat that 104 octane rating that propane boasts.

thumping

Loc.
Jacksboro Tn
HigginsHorse, I have never ran the system. It was ran on a jeep with a 360ci. During a rebuild my friend decided to go with a carb and asked me to try and sell the kit. No one around here seems interested and as for myself, I'm really happy with my Holley 2300 series 2barrel. Like I said, if somone wants to come by and pick it up I will almost give it away to get it out of my way. I'm about 30 miles North of Knoxville TN off 75N.

Anthony.

mrbronco

Loc.
Lufkin,TX.
June 2004 Four Wheeler has a good article.I've got a 74 4x4 that was put on propane in 1980 with a new 390(12.5-1 comp).The only reason it's parked now is the freeze plugs rusted out and the front axle exploded.Loved it when it was running though.

ChiefDan

Loc.
Columbia, SC
Moaiz said:
I imagine he was deeply tortured over saving .75 per gallon. I am sure he had problems sleeping as he filled his giant home tank in the 'off' season at .55 per gallon, (this was a few years back, gas was about $1.30 per.) I bet it nagged at his conscience during his 60 mile minimum daily commute in his truck. I cant imagine the depths of self-loathing that someone who wasnt living up to their socratic obligatiion to society must feel. I bet he fudged on his taxes too....BASTARD!!!
;D

MAybe it's just me, but roads are bad enough where I live. I have a problem paying for them while others who don't still use them.
Oh well, I guess there are bigger problems to worry about.

agirgen

Loc.
Bossier City, LA
Propane has many advantages... But nobody has mentioned the (in my opinion) BIGEST advantage... All the functionality of EFI with the simplicity of Carburetion! Thats the selling point for me. I just installed the Thunder Series AVS carb with the 4x4 setup. Works great, but I still have problems with my truck wanting to die when I hit the extreme angles.