• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Proto Fab Bumper is coming along...

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
I'll check the BC's out for sure. I'm not in a big rush, although the LEBC club is headed to Gilmer late in Jan and I sure would like to be able to do > a 2 without scraping my fenders!

Dusty

Bronco Guru
tcjones76 said:
I like the Cool bumper, but I have to ask what are you using for turn signal lights?

Who are you asking? I looked back through the thread to see where turn signals came up and can't figure out what you're referring to, unless its the fact that in the pic I posted there are no turn signals installed on my Bronco. If that's what you're referring to, my answer is that I rarely drive it on the street (I trailer it to the trails mostly), and when I do, I use hand signals, which is perfectly legal in daytime.

If your question was directed to someone else please forgive me.

Dusty

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
tcjones76 said:
I like the Cool bumper, but I have to ask what are you using for turn signal lights?

Check out pictures on my first posting that started the thread...the bumper is miles away from any turn signals, side markers, etc...no interference at all.

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Dusty said:
Who are you asking? I looked back through the thread to see where turn signals came up and can't figure out what you're referring to, unless its the fact that in the pic I posted there are no turn signals installed on my Bronco. If that's what you're referring to, my answer is that I rarely drive it on the street (I trailer it to the trails mostly), and when I do, I use hand signals, which is perfectly legal in daytime.

If your question was directed to someone else please forgive me.

Dusty

Hey Dusty, must've been directed at you...your pic shows no signal lenses in place and I'll bet that's what generated the quesiton...I guess....?:? ;)

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Yeah that's probably what he meant.

Any progress on mounting that milemarker? If I were you, I would cut out the existing winch mounts and weld in new ones just like them, but with the correct bolt spacing. They're just flat bar stock with a 90* bend. Your local metal supply might even put that bend in them for you. Gusset them while you're at it (something I wish they had already).

Dusty

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Dusty said:
Yeah that's probably what he meant.

Any progress on mounting that milemarker? If I were you, I would cut out the existing winch mounts and weld in new ones just like them, but with the correct bolt spacing. They're just flat bar stock with a 90* bend. Your local metal supply might even put that bend in them for you. Gusset them while you're at it (something I wish they had already).

Dusty

I'll be working on that this weekend in fact. I planned to fab up a 3/8" plate and get it all drilled just right for the Mile Marker - the winch is a B*tch to mount if you don't have the holes lines up just right!. I had planned on welding the plate directly to the existing 90 degree mounts on the P-Fab bumper rather than replacing them since then I'd have ~3/4 thick mounts in effect. I like your idea of gussets though, that's now added to my list! I'll post pic's once I get it set up and mounted. Thanks for the good ideas. :)

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Well a lot of time's gone by and I finally have it all pretty much done...took longer than planned 'cause I actually had to eat, sleep, and work in between working on the EB...can you imagine!?!? ;D

Here's a shot of the Protofab front bumper with the Mile Marker installed and hooked up. I remote mounted the solenoid too so it's nice and protected under the hood. Sorry for the dark pic, will snap one outside tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

• dscn0146.jpg
    dscn0146.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
While I was at it I got a Cross Enterprises rear bumper and spare carrier, all bolted up and done this afternoon. Real easy install, I recommend Cross to anyone contemplating bumpers.

Attachments

• dscn0150.jpg
    dscn0150.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 220
OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
One of the Cross with the tire swung out...I'm likin' it!

Attachments

• dscn0148.jpg
    dscn0148.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 216

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Lookin good. Where under the hood did you put the solenoid? Can you run a cable to it without opening the hood? With mine (Warn HS9500 with remote solenoid) I put it to the left of the radiator behind the grill, and removed a short section of the upper left-most grill crossbar to be able to attach the cable without opening the hood. I plan on wiring it to a switch on the dash too at some point.

I like the cross rear bumper, its simple and mostly out of the way. I take it you don't have the patience to wait around for the Protofab rear bumper like I am. Well in my case its more a lack of money than patience.

Dusty

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Thanks Dusty,
I mounted the solenoid on the flat part of the driver side fender. I'll take a pic of it sometime soon - sorry to be slow but work is killing me! I got the wire from home depot and some lugs and just mounted it in place of the stock solenoid to winch wiring. I did not yet relocate the plug for the controller but will do so soon. Plan is to run wires from existing plug out to grill and mount a female plug there, simiply building an extension for the control cable.

I thought of the Proto rear but as you accurately called it was not patient enough to wait for them. Also, I saw the Cross on a buddies EB and liked it enough to go for it. I have not seen any drawings yet of what the Proto rear will look like so went with the known...sure took a long time to get here but it was worth the wait. Finish is top notch powder coated, very easy to mount up and the tire rack works great. Only mod I plan is to build a catch pin for the rack so you can lock it in the open position, as is now it will swing free which is not good on hills or in wind cause it can swing all the way around and crimp yuor right rear fender!

Do you have any pics of the proto rear?

Dusty

Bronco Guru
tx1ton said:
Do you have any pics of the proto rear?

Nope I haven't seen it yet. All I've heard was that they didn't like the way the first prototype came out so they went back to the drawing board. This was a few months back though so I expect they should be getting close.

Dusty

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
You're more patient than me...pic below is from the LEBC run to Barnwell's in Gilmer TX last Sunday. Incredible weather for January 25, mid upper 60's and nice and sloppy - but this is why I wanted to get on with the bumpers...and it's what it's all about right?!!

Attachments

• going up sunday.jpg
    going up sunday.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 143

Dusty

Bronco Guru
tx1ton said:
...and it's what it's all about right?!!

Yup, It's All About the Wheeling! But I haven't let my lack of bumpers stop me. I've wheeled for nearly two years without a front bumper and I still don't have a rear bumper...

100_0500.jpg

Dusty

J-DUB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Edmonds
I am guessing that thay are talking about a new Proto Fab rear bumper that matches the new Front Bumper that they have on their Broncos.

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Here's another pic of tx1ton's rig in action on Sunday. Sure was fun, and that descent is quite a bit steeper than it looks in the pictures (right before he got to where the picture is taken, he was tottering on the passenger front and driver's rear tire, then you have to ease down the ledge *notice the passenger clawing the dash) *(Holy cow, this thing is HUGE!)

PICT1316.JPG

OP
OP
tx1ton

tx1ton

Loc.
Boerne, TX
Hey Gummi - thanks for that post! You have to shrink the pic, I do it by sending my pics to myself via email and opting for the shrink option....but anyway, yeah that trail was cool! I really had a great time Sunday.

You did a great job fixin' the broken U-joint on Craigs truck - too bad he blasted it again later...