• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

ps box bleed

TheLimeRanger

long story short, ps pump crapped out and got a new one. was advised to bleed the whole system to make sure any contaminants are out, so i don't ruin yet another pump. my plan is to hook up the pressure line from the pump to the box, and the non pressure side to the cooler. coming out of the cooler im going to run a long hose to a bucket, and cap off the pump's return line. fill up the pump, remove the coil wire and crank it. check fluid level, top it off, repeat. will this work or do i actually need it to run to accomplish what im trying to accomplish? any harm i overfilling the pump if im flushing it? i just dont want it to run dry and i figure if the system isnt fully closed then i probably cant blow out any seals overfilling it, but i have been wrong before lol.

thx!

Rightpace

Seems more effective to just take return cooler line off at pump to make sure no old fluid ever re-enters new pump.
Remove cooler and use mineral spirits to clean internal cooler and flush steering box with clean power steering fluid from a drill operated pump? and install a clear inline filter at new pump return to catch any debris that you may have missed before they can re-enter. Check filter af

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
You can have a whole lot of flow and pressure so be extremely careful and take all precautions. 2000 psi of hydraulic fluid can severely hurt an unintended victim not counting a whipping hose. cant just drop a hose in a bucket.

OP
OP
TheLimeRanger

TheLimeRanger

box bleed

You can have a whole lot of flow and pressure so be extremely careful and take all precautions. 2000 psi of hydraulic fluid can severely hurt an unintended victim not counting a whipping hose. cant just drop a hose in a bucket.

even with just cranking it with the coil wire disconnected?