• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Pulling Mountaineer motor and trans?

Jaybr

Contributor
I bought a 97 mountaineer for the trans and front serpentine setup and need to pull the motor and trans. While I consider myself fairly mechanically inclined, I’ve never pulled a motor or trans. I have a hoist and understand the basics, disconnect everything and lift it out .

Just looking for any tips you may have. And is it easier to pull the trans attached to the motor? Or drop it out first?

This thing is going to the scrap yard when I’m done, so I can take a sawzall to the front end if it helps to get stuff out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STalon89

Plasma or sawzall the rad support/front clip and yank everything together. Just dont get crazy cutting wires, take the time to unplug and save it all

unimogger

Loc.
Philthadelphia
What are you using to hoist it out?
I would pull the engine/ trans/ transfer case as one piece if possible. Take as much of the wiring harness as well, even if you are not needing it there may be someone else that needs that stuff.
Cut as much of the exhaust out as you can first, from the manifolds to past the transfer case. Getting to the engine mount bolts won't suck as badly with it gone. Cut the front rad and core support off, so you don't have to lift it as high.
Drain power steering and trans cooler lines the day before, so you aren't a slippery mess. Good luck

JKH67302

Contributor
I just did this over Christmas and all of the above advice stands with the added advice to take your time and think through what you might need later. I found it easier to take a day and remove everything from the engine compartment around the motor so you can get to the motor mounts and other bolts. The clips on the harnesses are brittle so take your time there as well. The firewall harness ran under the top of the core support so be sure not to start cutting first. I'd cut that out last or atleast after the harness is out of the way. I found it easier to pull the tranny separate because I needed to put the entire vehicle on stands to get to bolts, hoses and exhaust. I over kept things I thought I might need and figured I'd throw it away later if need be. Hope this helps. Those things are super tight and quite frankly I was happy to see it gone when I was done! Btw sell the rear end before you scrap it. Its desirable and it will go fast. After I sold the rear end, tires and scrap I only had 100 bucks in my project.
James

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Thanks folks!

I am planning to pull the computer and all FI stuff, figure someone will want it. I have someone that wants the roller motor. I’ll probably keep the rear brakes. It has new tires on it so the fancy aluminum wheels and tires will go on my utility trailer if they fit

I do have a new engine hoist and planning to use that. If for any reason that won’t work, I’ll use my tractor front bucket with some chains.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
My kid’s daily was a ‘99 Mountaineer last year until he broke off several plugs in the heads.
I wanted to pull the motor and trans out of that truck when it broke, but after fooling with it, ended up just pulling the harness, front dress, and computer (which was a major pain in itself). Every bolt is a mofo to get on that truck. Do it all over again, I’d cut the body away as much as possible to yank motor and trans together like STalon89 said.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks folks!

I am planning to pull the computer and all FI stuff, figure someone will want it. I have someone that wants the roller motor. I’ll probably keep the rear brakes. It has new tires on it so the fancy aluminum wheels and tires will go on my utility trailer if they fit

I do have a new engine hoist and planning to use that. If for any reason that won’t work, I’ll use my tractor front bucket with some chains.

Good luck.. That hoist is definitely handy.....

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Spent a couple hours in the shop this afternoon and motor is about ready to come out. Any recommendations where to
connect chains?

018bfc0df6f2271f02c172922c2f89e6.jpg

TTownEP

I pulled it all at once, but definitely drain that tranny before you pull the driveshaft out. I was doing that end of the pull in the dark and didn't even think about it, and my driveway will never be the same.

I hooked it up here, and manhandled the transmission end out through the cut rad support with the help of a friend.

475Wqj0.jpg

JKH67302

Contributor
I hooked mine at all four corners on the faces of the heads. 7/16 and 3/8 bolts, depending on the position. I used a load leveler, but I've done it with one chain on a diagonal using the same mounting spots. The load leveler is money and pretty cheap at Harbour Freight. They are really nice for going back in. Well worth the small cost.

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
I hooked mine at all four corners on the faces of the heads. 7/16 and 3/8 bolts, depending on the position. I used a load leveler, but I've done it with one chain on a diagonal using the same mounting spots. The load leveler is money and pretty cheap at Harbour Freight. They are really nice for going back in. Well worth the small cost.

I have a Northen Tool hoist with the leveler

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
After a week in Vegas, a week sick, and numerous other distractions, finally back at this today.

Next time I think I’ll just pay the junkyard to pull what I need

OP
OP
Jaybr

Jaybr

Contributor
Finally!
3624d43e653aff82c33c27a3c77a15fa.jpg