• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Purty headers??

67bondobronc

My bronco had some headers on it when I bought it but they are rustyyyyy. They are not rusted through just a lot of surface rust. After I knock all the rust off what should I paint them with? Funds are running a little low on the frame off resto so I have resorted to doing some of the little jobs for now.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
POR does make a heat resistant paint . It is called POR - 20 and it is $16 per half pint. Now pay attention here, I bought some stuff that looks just like "jet hot coating". You sandblast your headers and paint them with this stuff - High Heat Jet Turbine Coating. When the paint ( brush on or spray on ) dries you rub it with fine steel wool and you get a header that looks like you paid $200 to have coated. It looks just like polished aluminum. The stuff came from PM Industries 1-800-833-8933. It will cost you around $15 for the bottle and in return you get what looks like $400 headers. The compan is located in NJ and this stuff air dries , no baking needed.

swood

Loc.
San Jose, CA
[quote author=2badrotties link=board=5;threadid=14156;start=0#106466 date=1044826095]<br>POR does make a heat resistant paint . It is called POR - 20 and it is $16 per half pint. Now pay attention here, I bought some stuff that looks just like "jet hot coating". You sandblast your headers and paint them with this stuff - High Heat Jet Turbine Coating. When the paint ( brush on or spray on ) dries you rub it with fine steel wool and you get a header that looks like you paid $200 to have coated. It looks just like polished aluminum. The stuff came from PM Industries 1-800-833-8933. It will cost you around $15 for the bottle and in return you get what looks like $400 headers. The compan is located in NJ and this stuff air dries , no baking needed. <br>[/quote]<br>How does this stuff hold up?? Have you been running them long with this coating?

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I bought two bottles of the stuff. I have not done my headers yet but I used some of one of the bottles on a turbo exhaust manifold and O2 housing and it worked out real well. Those parts get very hot and I didn't see any problems. From what I'm told , as long as it goes on with no oil under it , It's good as it gets.

2badrotties

Just a Bronco guy !
Loc.
Niskayuna N.Y.
I have not done my headers as of yet. I did do a Turbo exhaust manifold and a O2 housing though , no problems. Make sure there is NO OIL under it.

Blue71

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I actually painted mine with that so called chrome colored Rustolium paint. It has lasted 4 mos. now. I'm not sure what they put in it but it isn't burning off. Looks like a silvery metalic color too. I like the stuff. Definately not a chrome look but the silver shows up nicely. Good Luck,<br><br>Blue71