• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Q-jet leaking from electric choke when warm

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
Hey all,
I was busy failing emissions the other day when I decided to lean out the idle and try (only to fail) again. When I popped the hood, I noticed gas dripping from the electric choke assembly. This probably explains why the thing is so hard to start when it's warm. If I kill it, it starts right up. If it's cold and hasn't set for more then 2 or 3 days, it starts right up. If it's warm and I let is sit between 5 and 45 minutes, I have to crank for about 20 seconds to get it started. I'm pretty sure this drip is the problem.

My question is - what can be causing fuel to drip from the electric choke assembly?

I have a 302 w/ a BC Broncos q-jet. I had to have racing jets put in as it never ran right with the orginal jets.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Sounds like you have the famous qjet leak I'd check your float level first also look for any cracks or small holes in the float bowl on the side the chokes on Qjets are famous for springing leaks as some were not cast very well. you should be able to fix any hole with epoxy.

OP
OP
AZMike

AZMike

Loc.
Flagstaff
Sounds like it's time for my favorite tool - JB-Weld! I guess I'll have to tear it down and see what the problem is.

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Where did you get the racin jets? my q-jet is runnin like crap. Can't seem to adjust.
Was thinking of taking the top off and look for cracks in the float or crap stuck in a jet. Do you have any instructions on this?