• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Quality of ride dependant on front shock location?

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
My front shocks consist of the rear positioned shock (original Location) which is stem mounted at the top mount and hour glass type busings on the lower mount attached at the radius arm. The front is hour glass type busings top and bottom and is mounted in front of the shock and secured to the radius arm caps.
I currently have duel shocks but would like to go to a better quality single shock like the Bilsteins 5165 or 7100 series. Is there a preffered location that would yield a more controlled better handling and better ride?

Thanks

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
My front shocks consist of the rear positioned shock (original Location) which is stem mounted at the top mount and hour glass type busings on the lower mount attached at the radius arm. The front is hour glass type busings top and bottom and is mounted in front of the shock and secured to the radius arm caps.
I currently have duel shocks but would like to go to a better quality single shock like the Bilsteins 5165 or 7100 series. Is there a preffered location that would yield a more controlled better handling and better ride?

Thanks

I think it makes a difference. Your front ones are at the end of the suspension radius so they would see the most travel. That position would make the ride rougher than the same shock at the stock position. The advantage of the front is there is a better selection of that type of mounting than that of the stock stud type.

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Thanks, I agree with the limited selection of the stock stem mount. I've read they have a 'pin mount' but still haven't seen one. I have basically a daily driver but I do not want to limit the off road capabilities. I know I've tried this but it may be time to experiment again. I went to one shock in the front at I had more body roll when cornering. I don't remember which one I left in for the test drive.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
The shock in front of the coil spring will give you the 'stiffest' ride, where the shock mounted behind the coil spring will give you a softer more controlled ride. The shock behind the coil will also yield more suspension travel with a shorter length shock. The 'old school' dual shock setup was used mainly because of the lack of decent shocks. Now with better shocks available you can get a much better ride with a good single shock mounted in the stock position. If you swap your shock towers to the Superduty style you'll have a much wider selection of shocks, and a Bilstein 7100 will bolt right up.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
There should be a small difference as noted above due to the arc of the axle pivioting at the frame. Front mounted shock would travel further then the actual axle movment while an aft mounted shock will travel less. So with equal shocks the front mount should be stiffer but handle better then a rear mount.

One of my griefs with front mount shock is they like to get in the way of steering at times. I have had to pry steering linkage off an old shock mount while on the trail in the past. There are options for upper shock mounts (F250 mounts come to mind) that open up shock selection to the factory location.

OP
OP
K

kc15842

Loc.
Lake Elsinore, Ca
Thanks guys, good points. I have taken out the stock shock and will put it through some daily drives and try the stock location again. Big money decesion.....
I do like the option to have a shock that I can setup to my spec. Bilsten seems to keep the plate pricing pretty secure because I've searched for hours trying to find pricing.