• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about 1966 passenger side antenna

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
In the past year I purchased two 1966 U13s with antennas on the passenger side of the vehicle. Both vehicles have stock radios and show no evidence of ever having a driver's side antenna. The passenger side antennas appear to be stock from the factory and are identicle on both vehicles. The antennas have a flex spring at the base. Does anyone know if these antennas are factory correct? I have seen antennas on both sides of 66 Broncos.

Attachments

• 34903_1418870990451_1192946767_31144001_6467914_n[1].jpg
    34903_1418870990451_1192946767_31144001_6467914_n[1].jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 47

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have seen original antennas an both sides as well. There is the telescopic type and the spring base type that you have. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to them either. I had a '69 with the telescopic type in the drivers fender and a '72 with the spring base type on the passengers fender both were original units.

66Bronco

My '66 roadster has the antenna on the passenger side. I believe my radio was installed by the dealer and they went to the pass side for ease of installation. My Roadster doesn't have a heater.

-Terry

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
My 73 Ranger has a pass side antena while my 71 sport has it on the drivers side. I think it all depends on what the antenna guy felt like doing. but most broncos do seem to have them on the drivers side.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
For years my '71 was the only one I ever saw with the passenger antenna. Looked to be a factory hole, but there was no stock type antenna left, if there ever was one. Since it was originally owned by a Montana hunting club though, it's easy to imagine why any original antenna might have gone missing.

Don't remember for sure if the one that was on it had a spring base or not, but I think it did. It definitely did not have the stock type base though, so I always presumed that it could have been an owner-installed unit. Even with the fancy hole in the fender.

Paul

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
If i am guessing, the reason would be because of the mirror on U13 mounts too close to the same location. Here is a 66 U 13 pic kinda sucks but look at the passenger side fender. It is a stock 66 roadster. BTW what is your vin# ?

Attachments

• The Roadster 031.jpg
    The Roadster 031.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 42
  • The Roadster 029.jpg
    The Roadster 029.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 39

turbotim2

My 76 U15 had the passenger side antenna. Not sure why they wouldn't make them all the same.

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
If i am guessing, the reason would be because of the mirror on U13 mounts too close to the same location. Here is a 66 U 13 pic kinda sucks but look at the passenger side fender. It is a stock 66 roadster. BTW what is your vin# ?

I have 3 U13s
U13FL732287
U13FL734850
U13FL750698

and looking for more...

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
Does anyone know where a guy could buy a stock passenger side antenna? I am looking for one to finish off a stock restoration.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
My 76 U15 had the passenger side antenna. Not sure why they wouldn't make them all the same.

Could be some were factory installed and some were dealer installed. I'd think the factory installed ones would all be the same.

turbotim2

Could be some were factory installed and some were dealer installed. I'd think the factory installed ones would all be the same.

I thought about that but how would the dealer be able to make that factory looking hole in the top of the fender?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I thought about that but how would the dealer be able to make that factory looking hole in the top of the fender?

I bet all the dealers had a punchout tool for that. Lots of accessories were dealer installed back then, when the manufacturers were mostly interested in only building cars.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Never really paid a lot of attention to antenna location on older trucks but a lot seem to be on the pass side. But I could be wrong. Hard to really say but as trucks rolleed down the assmebly line according to what was ordered so say 10 F100 were ordered and 5 broncos were ordered well the first 10 trucks roll through with 5 broncos coming directly behind them and if the previous truck had a pass side antenna then the worker may have just installed it on the pass side Since that was the side he was working on that day. Thats just my thoughts on what may have happened with some of the installs. But other base model broncos that came without radios from the factory would definetly be done by the dealer

OP
OP
mburlew

mburlew

Loc.
Springfield
Are you looking for a telescoping one or one with the spring?

I am looking for the spring model (it also is extendable). Both 66s with passenger side antennas have the spring style. I also noticed that the base of these antenna appear to be slightly smaller than the base on the driver side antenna.

66Bronco

I have only ever seen one part number for the Bronco antenna. It is my belief that regardless of what side the antenna is mounted on it's the same part.

-Terry