• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question about my 1966 Turn signal/running lights

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
I just noticed my front turn signals / running lights remain on while the headlight switch in the "running lights" position but turn off while the headlights are on - this seems odd and "not correct" - is it or is it me?

Turn signals work well - front and back

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Yep, wasn't regulated until later when they decided that the running lights should stay on. Especially handy if a headlight burns out and an oncoming driver does not have to think about whether you're a motorcycle or a truck!

However, maybe on the '66 switch, and for sure on later replacements, the extra contact tab was in place. Just not connected.
So you can find the front running lamp wire, move it from one position to the other and voila! They stay on.
We often did it to our sixties passenger cars, but I've never tried it on a Bronco before. If you're interested though, you can dig into it a little more.

Just one of the many quirks of a vehicle made prior to the implementation of 90% of the safety regulations to come into play later.

Paul

OP
OP
Waverous

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
My plan was to splice into the rear taillight/turn signal circuit.
Thanks for the reply