• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question-AOD to a NP 205

Rollin

Loc.
Port Angeles, WA
I have been doing some more reading and it looks like you can bolt up a
AOD tranny to a NP 205 case and don't need the adapter. So that would save a lot of money, but you have to change out the yoke. Will this still work if the tranny came out of a car not a 4x4. Then what about when you go to set up
the floor shifter for the tranny, or the 205 case, is there some changes that need to be done or is everything bolt in?
I'm getting ready to make the shift from a I6, 3 speed on tree, D20 case
the new set up is 93 EFI 302, AOD, transfer case?
The D20 needs to be rebuilt anyways and I thought this might be a good change if it might cost a little less.
Mark

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The only way a NP205 will bot to an AOD is if the AOD is from a 4WD. The output shaft in a 2WD transmission is different then a 4WD transmission. Trying to use a car transmission would require rebuiling the transmission with a 4WD output shaft and tailhousing, effectivly making it a 4WD transmission anyway.

No it will not be a bolt in, you will still need to do fabrication.

OP
OP
Rollin

Rollin

Loc.
Port Angeles, WA
If I am getting the transmission rebuilt anyways do you think it might be something to consider, the 205 that is?
Mark

Amac70

ME
your going to need to change the 2wd transmission no matter what transfer case you use. If you use the 205 you won't need adapters, if you run the d20 you will.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
your going to need to change the 2wd transmission no matter what transfer case you use. If you use the 205 you won't need adapters, if you run the d20 you will.

You mean won't need aftermarket adaptors, it will still need a factory 4WD adaptor and output shaft to run the NP205.