• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Question: speedo accuracy?

agirgen

Loc.
Bossier City, LA
Ok, Just wondering how I can make my speedo accurate after a major increase in tire size. I got 39.5 inch tires with a C-6 transmission and 4.88 gears.

Thanks for the help....
APG

hackyrat

This info came from someone else. Sounds like a good system.

Speedometer corrections:
Changing tire size or gears will throw off your speedometer. This is annoying, but easy to fix by changing the speedometer gear in the transfer case.

Step 1: Find out how far off your speedo is. Drive on the highway for 10 miles and note how far your odometer advances. Divide the odo reading by 10 and that will tell you what percentage your speedo is off. Example: If you drive 10 miles and your odometer advances 8.75 miles, 8.75 / 10 = .875. So your speedometer is reading 87.5% slow.

Step 2: Find out what speedo gear you need. Remove the speedometer driven gear from the transfer case. Do this by following the speedometer cable down to the transfer case. There will be 1 bolt to remove, and the gear should come out with the cable. Count the number of teeth on the gear. Multiply the number of teeth by how far off your speedo is and this will give you the gear you need. Example: If you find that you have an 18 tooth gear and your speedometer is 87.5% off, 18 * .875 = 15.75. So you need a 16 tooth gear which is the closest to the result.

Step 3: Locate the correct gear and install it. Try your local dealer, and if they don't have them, you may need to go to a company that specializes in obsolete parts. Pull the metal clip off the gear and the gear should come right off the cable. Install the new one and insert it back into the transfer case and you're done.

Step 4: Test it! I tried this fix, the example numbers are what I came up with. When I drove the same 10 miles on the highway my odometer advanced 9.9 miles! I have also tested it by driving next to cars with digital speedometers and compared to my GPS unit, and it is almost dead on! Please note that most highway markers are not perfect, but over 10 miles it should be pretty close. You can use a longer distance for more accuracy. Speedometer Driven Gear Part Numbers

Part Number # of teeth Gear Color
CODZ-17271-A 16 teeth wine
C3DZ-17271-C 17 teeth white
CODD-17271-B 18 teeth gold or yellow
CODZ-17271-B 19 teeth natural color
C1DZ-17271-A 20 teeth black
C4OZ-17271-A 21 teeth red